Sulphur

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tdh

Reaction score
Does anybody add SO2 to the mash?

If so, have you noticed any benefits?

tdh

I know that in the UK where they do have highly chlorinated water in some areas, Home brewers often add half a campden tablet (Sodium Metabisulphite that breaks down to SO2) into the mash water. However in Australia AFAIK a lot of chlorination is done with chloramine that isn't removed by SO2.
If you want sulphates in your mash, Calcium and Magnesium Sulphates are cheap as chips.

I didn't mean for water treatment but as an ingredient to reduce the effects of oxidation. Either beer that is bottled or aged for extended time.

tdh

I use potassium metabisulfite in my mash and have been for 5 years so can't tell you if its any different to when I didn't use it.

C&B
TDA

2.90 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (Thomas Fawcett) (3.0 SRM) Grain 78.80 %
0.41 kg Crystal Malt - 60L (Thomas Fawcett) (60.0 SRM) Grain 11.14 %
0.24 kg Black Malt (Thomas Fawcett) (660.0 SRM) Grain 6.52 %
0.13 kg Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM) Grain 3.53 %
22.00 gm Challenger [7.90 %] (90 min) Hops 22.5 IBU
10.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [4.70 %] (10 min) Hops 2.1 IBU
1.00 items Sodium Metabisulphite (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
1.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs West Yorkshire Ale (Wyeast Labs #1469) [Starter 2500 ml] Yeast-Ale

the sodium met is purely for its anti-oxidising properties in the mash. I only use a decent pinch of it, maybe a 1/2 of a gram.

I asked snow the other day about it

I thought GS would pop up and remind me how many grams per mash to use.

How much do you shovel in?

tdh

Been adding a pinch to the mashin water and sparge water for a while... didn't make much difference in Sydney with chloramine but in Tassie and the Blue Mountains it's straight chlorine so i can notice a difference.

Not sure about the oxidation aspect haven't really had a beer go to oxidation heaven, although when i do a really big beer and lay it down for a year+ i'll be adding some more into the fermenter before bottling for sure

I thought that when your water supply is treated with chlorine gas the easiest way to remove the chlorine was standing/boiling.
If the water has been treated with chloramines, that is where the SO2 is used as boiling etc will not remove it. Alternatively,
running your water through an activated charcoal filter will remove the chloramine derived chlorine as well.

Cheers,
smudge

I didn't mean for water treatment but as an ingredient to reduce the effects of oxidation.

Thanks fellas, a pinch it'll be.

tdh

Latest posts

Back