Suitable Hose For Hot Wort

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a1149913

Reaction score
Hey guys, i'm wondering what hose/tubing people use for transferring boiling hot wort?

Thanks

Gryphon and craftbrewer both had some good deals at one point.

You don't really need that much for most purposes.

Ahem. Cough. Keg King. Cough. 5 bucks a metre. Cough. Thick wall. Splutter.

I haven't used their's so can't comment on quality but it is silicone.

Fwiw, rs components sell a roll of 25m that works out ~2.5 times KK's price. I dunno how KK does it that cheap.

it lasts a long time. I'm still using the 1.5m i bought when i joined up

Ahem. Cough. Keg King. Cough. 5 bucks a metre. Cough. Thick wall. Splutter.

I haven't used their's so can't comment on quality but it is silicone.

Fwiw, rs components sell a roll of 25m that works out ~2.5 times KK's price. I dunno how KK does it that cheap.

I'll tell you how. 250% markup is about par for the course from RS components.
Their unashamed price gouging has prevented me from ever buying anything from them. Shame, because they certainly stock some cool gear.

I think the price difference is the quality. Some cheaper silicone hoses are known to kink and get soft under heat. The better stuff does not. I wonder how much silicone is in that cheaper stuff? It will last you many years, the couple of $ extra for a decent hose is worth it to me. Also the heavy duty at some places isn't much thicker than the light duty at others. I see Gryphon still has the heavy duty stuff for under $10 a meter, it is what I'm using and never had a problem.

it lasts a long time. I'm still using the 1.5m i bought when i joined up

Not always. I had a smart idea to keep my first silicone hose stored in a solution of sodium met to keep out the nasties. Silicone became hard and brittle and snapped.

I think the price difference is the quality. Some cheaper silicone hoses are known to kink and get soft under heat. The better stuff does not. I wonder how much silicone is in that cheaper stuff? It will last you many years, the couple of $ extra for a decent hose is worth it to me. Also the heavy duty at some places isn't much thicker than the light duty at others. I see Gryphon still has the heavy duty stuff for under $10 a meter, it is what I'm using and never had a problem.

Awesome hose that gryphon stuff. Bought a couple of meters a few weeks ago at a bargain basement price. Very happy with it.

I've got some thinner wall stuff purchased from KK I use for racking and transferring wort post brew. I also have some thick wall stuff from Gryphon I use on my brew rig. No discernible difference in quality between the two that I can see.

I use the keg king silicone hose and while it was cheap it does tend to kink easier than thicker walled silicone hose. I just have to make sure all of my curves are soft round and gentle like my wife. ;) So I probably used a bit more than if I had brought the thicker walled silicone hose, but I still saved a shitload.

Hey guys, i'm wondering what hose/tubing people use for transferring boiling hot wort?

Thanks

I bought a few meters of medical grade silicone tubing off evil bay for about $7 a meter. Has served me fine so far. I can't remember who the retailer was though. It has nice thick wall and doesn't kink.

Nope it's Farnell who call themselves Element14

I just did a quick compare:
All 12.7mm (1/2") internal diam silicone hosing,

OD - Store - $/m
19.5mm - Gryphon - $9.95 (Heavy duty)
20mm - Craftbrewer - $15.95 (Heavy duty)
19.05mm - Craftbrewer - $8.95 (Medium Duty)
18mm - Keg King - $4.95

So it seems that What Gryphon are calling Heavy duty is in between what Craftbrewer call heavy and medium duty. On their website they have a similar indirect statement.

Has anyone had major problems with KK hosing?

Has anyone had major problems with KK hosing?

No other than what I said above, it works fine and does the job. Seals on all my barb fittings without clamps, although I use them just in case anyway. With the thicker hose you can have a tighter bend as I have one length from G&G which I use from my chiller into my fermenter. Ive used KK hose in my 3v herms for 4 brews now and no problems at all.

It's also possible that its the same stuff and some of the measurements is out...

Is it the same stuff?

Latest posts

Back