Suggestions for where to stay in Phuket?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Truman42

Reaction score
SWMBO wants to go to Thailand for her birthday in May so Im currently researching accomodation. Current criteria are

- Must be catered for couples. Not interested in staying at resorts that are going to be packed with kids and familys, looking for a nice romantic getaway.
- Prefer to be away from the hustle and bustle of Patong etc but not to far away that its going to take 20 mins by taxi to get there.

We basically want a nice hotel on or near a nice beach but not into going out everynight so dont need to be close to all of this.

Any suggestions?

Sunset beach hotel.
About 5 mins out from the main drag. They have a courtesy shuttle, or a tuk tuk for next to nothing.
Food is good and cheap. We are in the restaurant nearly every night. (Most hotel or resorts can be expensive to eat in...not this one)
Fantastic buffet breakfast.
I've been there once and was very happy. but my brother has just booked to go back for his third time.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk

I just asked my daughter who works in travel and she suggested the Karon or Kata beach area, which is about 10 minutes from Patong. She said to try the Old Phuket Hotel or Centara Karon Resort, both 4 star hotels.

Hope this helps, mate.

Cape panwa. It's beautiful. It's probably about a 40minute taxi from Patong in moderate traffic, but it's a much more authentic experience while still having all those comfortable tourist amenities.

We stayed in patong for a few days, then moved to Centara villas (was already booked this way) between patong and karon. The travel agent told us it was 30 minutes away (we were also after something quiet) but it was only 5 minutes from patong. Gives you the option of going to either place. It's on a damn steep hill on the headland with private villas going all the way down. They do run little shuttle if you can't be bothered walking up and down the hill (you dont think you will need them but the humidity will make you. Especially in May- wet season).
Loved the privacy of our own villa and it was awesome inside with a big private deck looking over the water. You can upgrade further to get private spa etc but we didn't bother. Think it was about $80-$100 a night. Even had our own pet goldfish.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk

Thanks for the suggestions gents. The missus ended up buying a voucher from tophoteldeals.com.au which have been recently advertising on tv. They are owned by another company called hotels2go.com.au. You pay $99 for a voucher and then can book a hotel at a great discount.
Me being concerned there was a catch did some research on this company and found a blog where someone comments that this company is owned by a guy called Lance Martin. Apparently he has also owned previous company's called hotel bargains and bargain breaks. In this blog he says that at first he honours the vouchers then makes excuses that the hotels are fully booked and you lose your money. I must admit his English isn't that good and he doesn't go into exactly what happened. I then found a lot of comments on a life hacker post about bargain breaks where you book a hotel in Australia at a very discounted price. But the catch is you have to buy two meals a day at around $75 a meal.

But I didn't find any posts complaining about tophoteldeals.com.au or anything else related to hotels in Thailand or Bali. I phoned them up and told them what I had found and was told that the balance of the payment is made direct to the hotel on arrival so they don't take any more money from us. They also said that the hotel will send us confirmation of the booking. I then phoned a resort in Thailand who confirmed this as well.
So at this stage my mind is a little bit at ease. Anyone heard anything about these companies or know of anyone who has brought these vouchers?

We booked a resort called The Mangosteen Resort and spa in Rawai. $399 for 7 nights. It has great reviews on Tripadvisor except some people complaining about pushy English time share salesmen. But if that's all I have to worry about then that doesn't worry me. I'm not one to get conned easily and they will soon learn that No men's No if they piss me off.

We want to stay for 10-11 nights so will look into some of the other suggestions for the remaining 3-4 nights.

Thanks once again.

Not sure if it's too late but my fiance and I stayed Ruen Buathong. It is incredibly tidy and the owners were the nicest people we met in our 3 weeks over there. It's on the main road, but it's down a 60ish metre side street so you don't get any noise. There are only about 12ish rooms too and no families. All couples when we were there.

Pretty close to the night markets and only about 10-12 minute walk to Bangla Road.

+1 for kata. Much quieter and more romantic. Going there for my honeymoon in March. Been before, wouldn't go near patong, what a dump.

pickaxe

FWIW, If you can manage it, fly over to Ko Samui and stay there for a few days. It's a lot more laid back, compared with Phuket.

Plenty of accom ranging from Resorts to Bungalows. Plenty of couples resorts on Bohput, Maenam, Lamai beaches - Chaweng Beach is where all the action is at.

Pickaxe said:
+1 for kata. Much quieter and more romantic. Going there for my honeymoon in March. Been before, wouldn't go near patong, what a dump. pickaxe
Yep, Karon or Kata. (haven't stayed at Kata). Our next trip we're planning on dividing our time between Khao Lak (on the mainland an hour up the coast from Phuket) and Samui.

Phuket is great for your first time in Thailand - plenty to do, heaps to see, great tours.
Make sure you look for a place with a swim up bar. I'm sure she'll love it.

jyo said:
I just asked my daughter who works in travel and she suggested the Karon or Kata beach area, which is about 10 minutes from Patong. She said to try the Old Phuket Hotel or Centara Karon Resort, both 4 star hotels.

Hope this helps, mate.
Hey mate tell your daughter great choices.
We stayed at The Old Phuket first and then after 4 days in Rawai we had enough of being in a resort that was a 200 metre steep walk to the main road so went back to Karon and stayed at The Centara. I just read your post and realised you daughter suggested them both so great choices we enjoyed them both and would certainly stay there again.

I'm looking for condos around Patong to rent for 6-12 months. Aiming for around 20-25k.

Latest posts

Back