Suggestions for footie club brew(s)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AJS2154

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am participating in a brew-up for my son's local rugby club. I am contributing a couple of kegs to the boys for a social function (no charge of course!).

I am open to suggestions. I am a big fan of wheat beers and would make one of those in preference, but my bloke said the boys are more likely to go for something more like Tooheys New or similar..... ouch! . I am making the beer as a gift, so no time for me to be educating their respective pallets.

Any suggestions or experience with making beers for a group like this? Maybe a Coopers clone or something similar? All grain recipes are my preference.

Thanks in advance, Anthony

Larger is going to take longer in the fermenter so that might be a concern.
Simple pale ale? 5% 30 IBU
Maybe a Kölsch if you want. But it's the season for drinking big imperial stouts!!

Depending on time - andrew qld's coopers sparkling clone and/or batz far kin aussie lager (coopers is quick, batz's might need more time).

Coopers clone is your best bet I reckon. Arguably the most accepted pale ale, fairly inoffensive, average strength and looks pale. Most pub drinkers expect it to be cloudy too so it won't be a turnoff.
Otherwise a simple Sierra Nevada type clone or SMaSH-type beer with cascade is likely to please. Stay away from wheats because they're a love-or-hate style (I'd wager most Aussie drinkers don't like them). Other option is a Tooheys Old which... ahem... I happen to be drinking now and it's a ripper clone. Some don't like the dark beers out of principle though, can't win 'em all.

I'd do something simple too like the Coopers clone with any yeast if you don't have a culture. us-05, notto no probs.
I'd throw in 50 - 100g Cascade at flame out and chill so it doesn't bump up the IBU's. Just to make it a little more interesting flavour and aroma.

My go-to crowd pleaser "Kolsch" is 90% Pilsener malt, 10% Wheat malt.
Single hop - Citra has been the most popular so far, 30gm@ 60 min, 40 gm @ 5min for a 45l batch.
us05 @18-20deg.
Never fails.
Mark

I agree with Kolsch. Its close to lager as you can get, however bring the temp low to 16c for us05, preferred use German ale strain at 14/15c.

Which ever yeast you use make sure you over pitch to reduce the ester formation and keep the beer clean.

Read on the bjcp style guide 2015 to get more info.

cascade SMaSH?

make them start the first keg with a boat race and the team song. then it wont matter what the rest tastes like!

Schwarzbier
Amber Ale
stout
4kg pale, 400g sugar, 64 mash, POR for 22 IBU, us05

If there like my brother and brother in law they won't touch anything, there all too sweet :)

Wow,

An avalanche of responses, thanks for all the suggestions. I am pretty clear on the Coopers, have made it a few times now and love it. I will need something that I can turn around relatively quickly so, as much as I love the, the lagers are out. The Kolsch was frequently suggested, perhaps a throw at the stumps with that. The "crowd pleaser" Mark suggested sounds great with some citra.

Thanks again, will be sure to report back. Anthony

Cooper Cultured yeast? Ive just made another 40lt of 80lt total beer from the yeast of 8 of their stubbies. :beerbang:
I could probably do a third brew on the yeast cake. Maybe.

Simple American blonde ale. It's the standard inoffensive crowd pleaser in a gazillion US brew pubs for a reason

you can have a cream ale (i usually go 60% malt, 20% polenta, 20% brown rice, 15-20IBU) fermented and kegged within 7-10 days of mash. I haven't met a person who wont quaff the shit out of a good CA.

American Wheat- 50% Wheat, 50% Pils, C hop to 20IBU and US 05.

Blonde Ale and Cream ale will also work well.

Back