Suggestions for Amber Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Droopy Brew

Reaction score
Ok so I am onto about my 5th brew and have decided to get into using the LME in place of Dex.

I have a can of Morgans Amber Ale and a 1.5kg can of Morgans Caramalt LME and 250g of powdered corn starch. I figure they would go well together.

I have chucked them into the spread sheet which suggests an ABV of 4%. I thought it would be closer to 5% and would like to get it up around there.

I am considering a number of options with the key considerations of getting the ABV up a bit while maintaining a creamy head and full mouth feel.
Options are:
add 300g Dex
or 300g Rice maltose syrup
or 300g of honey.

Any suggestions?

Also I usually dry hop- what would be a recommended hop for this style brew?

Cheers,

Man, I vowed never to use honey again after I used 1kg in a brew. Was a nice beer, but shit did it give a massive headache the next morning. Read this in Mead forums after i'd brewed it too. I'm staying away from honey.

It also will not help with body, it brews pretty dry and gives a low FG.

Thanks mate- strike honey from the list then.
I figure I wont need to add to the body- I just dont want to reduce it much with the adjuncts.

go the dex and to my taste i'd hop with cascade or galaxy. but that's just me. i think hops can be a pretty personal thang.

Back