Subtle Dry Hopping

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milob40

i'd rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal
Reaction score
workin on a top secret :rolleyes: recipe atm and think i've cracked it but just need to get a bit more hop aroma, 1gm p/lt makes it too overpowering but on the other end of the scale 1/2gm / lt just gives a dry mouth feel,
any suggestions? (kegging not bottling)
original recipe has 30 and 10 min hop additions of cascade and galaxy,
maybe i should try a small flame out addition?

From my experience I'd say flame out/whirlpool, push the addition back as far as possible.
Ive dumped hops in a bag and thrown them in after I've finished whirl pooling and I think it adds something that dry hopping/kettle hopping doesn't. SO the total contact time is however long it takes to drain the kettle into the chiller/fermenter.
Thats my secret out of the closet now...

-edit-
Another method I've been thinking about trying is dry hopping when I'm normally crash chilling my beer for a week, don't know if that any food for thought though.

For aroma, dry hop 2g/ltr or more depending on how much hop aroma you like. IMHO dry hopping is the best flr aroma, especially keg hopping

For aroma, dry hop 2g/ltr or more depending on how much hop aroma you like. IMHO dry hopping is the best flr aroma, especially keg hopping

thats good but the original post did say he thought 1g/ltr dry hop was to much in the recipe he's doing.
Try a flameout addition milo 1g per litre and taste how it differs from dry hopping.

If 1g/l is too much and 1/2 isn't enough how about 3/4g per litre? How good are your scales?
Otherwise I like the very late whirlpool/flameout addition for flavour but I don't think it gives as good an aroma as dry hopping myself.
Personal taste and all that of course...

Also, if you cube, try adding your flameout hops into the cube and seal it up. A good compromise if you don't like to dry hop.

Cheers

Also, if you cube, try adding your flameout hops into the cube and seal it up. A good compromise if you don't like to dry hop.

Cheers
And to add to what Nick has said, Add the hops to the cube when its full just before you seal the lid then , if possible, put the cube in an ice bath to fast chill.

Cheers

thanks for all the replies, think i might try a flameout in my next one, it's definately aroma thats missing.
i don't cube usually, i just fast chill then whack in the fridge in the fv and wait for the temp to drop for yeast addition.
does anyone dry hop with hop flowers like the kind ross sells?

I prefer to dry hop with pellets, as the flowers tend to soak up quite a bit of beer. Doesn't mean you shouldn't try it if you like...

How about dry hopping with 1/2 g/litre but tell yourself you used 1g/litre. :rolleyes:

Or maybe even better visa versa....

Id be having a go at upping your latest hop addition (cube/whirlpool) and hopefully get a bit of aroma coming through, without being over the top.

Best part of homebrewing is being able to experiment to find what suits your tastes the best

Sponge

Latest posts

Back