Substitute

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Linz

Reaction score
Just wondering what a resonable substitute would be for dried bitter orange peel. I was thinking of using dried mandarin peel instead.
Would this also match with a low bittering of POR hops??

Just thoughts at this stage...... :huh:

Linz

I find dried green orange peel is a pretty good substitute

I peel about 10 green orange with a potato peeler, trying to only get the green part of the peel only and no white pith. I then dry in an open oven. freeze and use when needed.... (no more than 10g for 25 litres)

I'm sure someone will mention the dried orange peel from the Chinese grocer. I find this imparts a real soapy flavour. where as the green orange gives a much crisper spicy note.

Another thing to ponder... - bitter orange peel gives a Belgian white beer its spicy flavour and the coriander gives it a citrus note..... ;-)

I often throw in some dried ripe mandarin peel too though.
POR should be OK as long as you keep it low and boil it alot so it no longer resembles POR... ;)

Asher for now

I suppose you could use mandarin peel. Most asian supermarkets sell the proper dried peel. Or some people (I think it was PoMo) dried thier own peel on a tray in the voen at very low heat.

Other you could do what I did, and just use the fresh rind of an orange. (Actually, I'd use no more than half an orange). Last wheat beer I did accidentally ended up with the rind of 2 oranges in it *shudder*

it wasnt nice

Grumpy Thomas says a small jar of marmalade, but personally i peel a mandarin, dry it, throw it in.

All you need to do is peel and dry in oven for say 30-45 minutes at 120.

As for POR i use to be a basher. But i made a all munich bittered with POR flowers in the mash and Threw in POR at the end of the boil and let sit for 20mins. I think even the harshes basher would have enjoyed this one.

There also is that rumour going around that Stella use to use POR. I dont know how true. Coopers uses POR. Just because it is Australian and not European or dare i say it American , does not mean that it is a substandard hop.

There really are no bad hops. You just have to use them appropriatly.

Be radical use bittering hop as a last minute flavour hop and alternatively use a flavour hop as a bittering hop, be radical! :eek: :p :lol:

wedge said:
As for POR i use to be a basher. But i made a all munich bittered with POR flowers in the mash and Threw in POR at the end of the boil and let sit for 20mins. I think even the harshes basher would have enjoyed this one.

There also is that rumour going around that Stella use to use POR. I dont know how true. Coopers uses POR. Just because it is Australian and not European or dare i say it American , does not mean that it is a substandard hop.

There really are no bad hops. You just have to use them appropriatly.

Be radical use bittering hop as a last minute flavour hop and alternatively use a flavour hop as a bittering hop, be radical! :eek: :p :lol:
Howdy Wedge,
I have been a lover, basher, lover and am again a basher of POR hops. Fresh, they are lovely. Old, they are the harsh. Never use POR from the previous season. Apparently they have poor storage capabilities. I have 20 litres here that you are welcome to if you wish.
cheers
darren

Back