Substitue for american 2 row

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brendandrage

Reaction score
Hi all,
Im about to place an order a g & g for a recipe that calls for american 2 row, i was wondering what a good substitute might be,
here is the recipe.
2150g pilsner
2150g american 2 row
450g flaked corn or rice
340g corn sugar
liberty hops
1056 yeast

its the mower beer from jz and jp classis brewing styles

cheers in advance

Any kind of base ale malt would be suitable. If you want a bit more malt flavour you could try marris otter but Joe White or Barrett Burston depending on where you are would be fine.

Yep really depends on the style of the desired beer, American pils ?
From your recipe it appears to have a few adjuncts so I would sub it for Burstons Galaxy malt, better diastatic (enzymes ) power to convert starches.
Nev

Briess pale is a us malt but any pale malt that doesn't specify winter barley or 6 row ( don't know of either being available here) should be suitable.

manticle said:
Briess pale is a us malt but any pale malt that doesn't specify winter barley or 6 row ( don't know of either being available here) should be suitable.
I know that The Brewshop stocks Castle 6-row. Unless you meant that we don't get any US 6-row...

MCHammo said:
I know that The Brewshop stocks Castle 6-row. Unless you meant that we don't get any US 6-row...
I wasn't aware of any 6-row being available here but there you go. Not sure what advantage there would be to using it for a homebrewer but I'm basing that entirely on what I've read about it.

6 row barley is generally a feed type barley and rarely gets sold to the maltsters they don't generaly want it either. All modern comercial malting varieties are 2 row barley. Refers to how many rows of seeds form in the heads.

I don't know how much difference it makes, but American 2-row is 1.8ºL while Australian ale malt is 3.2ºL, almost twice as dark.

The colour doesn't bother me but I imagine there'd be a difference in taste.

I did a Pliny The Elder clone last weeks and contacted Vinny Cilurzo at Russian River to ask this very question, his response was Pilsener

Isn't pilsner malt distinctly different to ale malt though? I've never used it so I can't comment on it. Apparently it requires a 90 minute boil?

Not that different. Paler the malt the more smm and pils is paler than ale malts of various types although with a lot of modern malts the amount of smm is reduced. I boil all beers for 90 mins anyway but it's a safeguard more than a requirement.

SMM is the precursor for dms for those who don't know.

Latest posts

Back