Styles In Nsw Comp 2005

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can someone post the link to the BJCP Guidelines for this year.

Thanks

Hi again Ray,
Just wondering why NSW comp is being judged to BJCP and whilst we in SA are judging to Aussie guidelines (not sure about Qld, ACT amd Vic.). I presume that the National is also being judged to AABC guidelines
cheers
Darren

As far as I can see the Aussie guide lines are fairly open and not too definitive. The BJCP guidelines are more concise and narrow the variation. I reckon, give it a little time and the other comps will come on board, as well as the "Aussie" style of beers(POR and WLP 009??Fosters is already there)

Linz, I agree that the BJCP are far more comprehensive. I bet though there will be some discrepancy in some classes between the BJCP and the AABC. I just think it is best that we are all judging against the same measuring stick!
cheers
Darren

Darren said:
Linz, I agree that the BJCP are far more comprehensive. I bet though there will be some discrepancy in some classes between the BJCP and the AABC. I just think it is best that we are all judging against the same measuring stick!
cheers
Darren
[post="75622"][/post]​

Got to Agree with Darren on this...

Hey, either way if its a great beer it SHOULD stand out on its own anyway, unless its useless owner enters it in the wrong category...... :D

my only problem with the BJCP is its geared twards american brewing styles, and fair enough, thye are american....and although little jophnny would like it to be so, we are not.......the other thing is that they seem to be adding a heap of "american" styles...American IPA, for exhampe...and the Imperial beers.......

well thats fair enough for the yanks, they are liking there beers stronger and hoppier, so i assume thay had to add these cats so the hop heads can get there beers in, and not harm the brewers that are brewing to the traditional guidelines........but yet again I say, The BJCP is for the yanks, its written by them, for them...its about time we grew up and either fied out currnet AABC guidelines, or come up with somthing better...aimed at our brewing style, not the english, not the American....

Any suggestions on a category to enter a hoppy Arrogant ******* clone?

...or a smoked stout?

Seth

I have to agree with Oz, we have our own styles to suit our own tastes.
I don't like the way we are expected to follow the BJCP guidelines, & don't follow them for that very reason. I am a huge fan of brewing without guidelines.

Make it up as you go.

I was going to brew a Wheat Beer (800 litre) with 60% Pils & 40% Wheat Malt as the grain bill. I soon realised that a 50/50 split would mean I didn't have any 1/2 bags of grain left over. So 50/50 it was.

Life is too short to listen to someone trying to tell me that a Pilsner is more of a German Pils than a Czech Pils or whatever. Just drink it ! If you brew a great beer you will know very early on that it is going to be good. Sometimes I can tell a beer is going to be a cracker as the grain goes through the mill, although not a few weeks ago when the belt on the mill broke.:angry:

Now for comps you really need to have one set of guidelines & that is it. I can't see how we can apply one set of rules to the State title, and then another set to the National title. There can't be that big a difference so maybe we can just "blend" the guidelines together & end up with the definative style guidlines.
At the completion of this task we will have the new guidelines carved into the walls of the Hallertau Valley for all to see.

It is good for brewing, as a craft or hobby, that there are educational programs such as the BJCP, but they are not for everybody.

OK that was about 3cents worth

Cheers & Good Luck to those that enter

Gerard

Well at least there is some discussion on this. At least it distracts us from the usual beer style arguments at this time of year.

I would have to say that I think all State and National comps should use consistent guidelines. I haven't got the aussie and bjcp guidelines handy but IIRC an example of where they are different was the mouthfeel and body of stouts. If judged to style, the same flight of beers could be ranked differently when judged against oz vs bjcp guidelines.

OTOH I am all for improved guidelines. I would like to see examples of where the bjcp style guidelines are slanted to american tastes (with the exception of "american" styles, such as APA, american IPA etc). I would like to see an international set of guidelines that included uniquely australian styles. My guess is that the BJCP guidelines would be a decent starting point.

I agree SOS..

I would like to see some Aussie?AABA Stout Guidelines that allow Hop flavour/aroma in Stouts.

I would also like them to bring back the cider and mead categories - How can you call it the Australian Amature Brewing Championships if u dont cater for these.

If they dont bring them back, then change the title to " Australian Amateure Beer Brewing Championships.

My2centsWorth.

I have Edited the post to correct the letters i inadvertently left out. :ph34r:
Thanks guys.

Glad to see someone reads my Posts :rolleyes:

GMK
Are you calling not only for a change in the guidelines, :beerbang: but also a change in the spelling of the word amateur? :party: ??
James

GMK said:
......then change the title to " Australian Amature Beer Brewing Campionships.

[post="75701"][/post]​
I dont think we want to change them to being CAMPionships either GMK :p

So where does one go to do a course on judging and certification of AABA guidelines?
I know my beer will be judged in a competion that will attract recognised/certified people that have some training in beer judging if its a BJCP comp, but a AABA comp.. it could be old Fred from the far end of the oxford tavern bar....or from one of those HBS we have all bitched about...

Bugger the fact that SOME of the styles are leaned toward Yank styles, thats a poor excuse. Easy, Dont brew it! Brewing is about what you put in to your beer, not how you brew it

Without real definition Beer is just Beer to joe public...look at wine, everyone knows the diff tween Charrdy and reisling..most dont know the diff tween porter and stout, let alone Ale and Lager

The milk crate is creaking, time to hop off

Linz said:
So where does one go to do a course on judging and certification of AABA guidelines?
I know my beer will be judged in a competion that will attract recognised/certified people that have some training in beer judging if its a BJCP comp, but a AABA comp.. it could be old Fred from the far end of the oxford tavern bar....or from one of those HBS we have all bitched about...

Bugger the fact that SOME of the styles are leaned toward Yank styles, thats a poor excuse. Easy, Dont brew it! Brewing is about what you put in to your beer, not how you brew it

Without real definition Beer is just Beer to joe public...look at wine, everyone knows the diff tween Charrdy and reisling..most dont know the diff tween porter and stout, let alone Ale and Lager

The milk crate is creaking, time to hop off
[post="75907"][/post]​
Linz - the BJCP styleguidelines of course cater to American styles and ignore our part of the world but I would like to see evidence that they americanised international styles. I am not counting the case where they add say "american IPA" because the orginal is still there.

I also find it a little ironic when people bang on about the BCJP style guidelines when in my experience, a local judge would give an SNPA maybe a score in the 90's (out of 150) because it lacks hop aroma and strong hop flavour.

Ie aussie judges are looking for something hoppier than the quintessential APA, does this make us more american than the americans?

Darren said:
Linz, I agree that the BJCP are far more comprehensive. I bet though there will be some discrepancy in some classes between the BJCP and the AABC.

> Well have a look at the Category link and you will see that all AABC styles are accounted for as are all BJCP Styles. Refer to the detail, you will find that there are no holes this year. The devil is in the detail.

This is a first from the previous years where there have been glaring holes in the exception of a number of styles, including the internationalist 'Blonde' Ale style.

I just think it is best that we are all judging against the same measuring stick!

> The BJCP program is about doing this very task. If you trace the AABA guidlines there is little methodology, review process or structure.

The AABA is not an organisation with any functionality or reason. Essentially it is 10~odd guys on email who argue and accomplish little in the way of benefiting Home Brewing or Beer in general. Try it yourself, try and find out 'who' the AABA is, thier charter or thier actual existence.

Arguments aside, the BJCP are a comphrehensive and organised unit. They have practices in place to manage the beast and work to please alot of folks. The BJCP may be based in the US, and the US has over 1500 Micro's, hence alot of beer is made. At last count just on 70 Aussie Micro's exist and the progress is much different. The BJCP do not seek to represent or subsue any other regions interests, but beleive me they are happy to help out and assist.

Assuming the usual way comp's are run and judge training (ie. zero), the recent BJCP exams and the efforts are a positive not a negative. Its all about education in the end, I hope,

///

Back