Style Of The Week 5/7/06 - Apa

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
im not experienced enough to comment on how good it is, just have a question about why you pick certain ingredients.

what does adding the Vienna do that the Munich cant?

and why Pilsner instead of Ale or Pale Ale?

sorry to detract

That's a good point and something I really cannot answer, I do not think there would be much difference between using pilsner or pale malt for the base, I always used pilsner in the past as I only ever bought one base malt. I have thought about it though and will remove the vienna and replace it with munich (just less of it). See updated recipe below.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 50.00 L
Boil Size: 57.23 L
Estimated OG: 1.044 SG
Estimated Color: 9.5 EBC
Estimated IBU: 29.1 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
7500.00 gm Pale Malt (Weyermann) (6.5 EBC) Grain 81.08 %
1000.00 gm Munich I (Weyermann) (14.0 EBC) Grain 10.81 %
750.00 gm Wheat Malt, Pale (Weyermann) (3.9 EBC) Grain 8.11 %
15.00 gm Amarillo [8.20 %] (50 min) Hops 6.0 IBU
15.00 gm Saaz B [8.60 %] (50 min) Hops 6.3 IBU
25.00 gm Saaz B [8.60 %] (20 min) Hops 6.7 IBU
25.00 gm Cascade [5.00 %] (20 min) Hops 3.9 IBU
25.00 gm Amarillo [8.20 %] (20 min) Hops 6.3 IBU
20.00 gm Amarillo [8.20 %] (0 min) Hops -

You could use either. Being different malts they will have different flavours. Different brands will also taste different.

Generally I find pilsner malt a bit sweeter than ale malt, vienna a bit more nutty/biscuity than munich.

Why boysenberries instead of blueberries?

To my palate Vienna and Munich aren't that far apart. Both add some maltiness, the Munich admittedly more so and I'd pick out Munich in a beer long before I'd pick Vienna. I usually use Vienna where I want to keep within the colour parameters, especially on lighter beers. A relatively small amount of Munich will significantly increase the colour, I think I'm using Munich I ?
Ale to Pilsener malt, again colour for the most part, cost for the next. I only use German Pilsner malt, and it's a little pricey, but I appreciate the flavour in light beers. Ale malt's a bunch cheaper and when you're going to hop the hell out of it and add munich and crystal, the base malt gets lost pretty quickly, more refined palates may tend to disagree.

I reckon there's a fair difference evn between JW vienna and wey vienna. I'd say munich and vienna are more similar than they are different but they are different nonetheless. To my palate wey vienna and ding biscuit have a lot of similar characteristics.

Going to put down an APA this afternoon/evening

ale malt
Vienna malt
med crystal
biscuit
amarillo and centennial with frequent late additions to around 50 IBU.

Thinking of putting this together tomorrow as i have a few small bits of this and bits of that

Ale Malt - 70%
Pilsner Malt - 20%
Munich 1 - 10%

Magnum 12.1% - 10 grams 60 minutes
Amarillo 8.2% - 20 grams 10 minutes
Cascade 5.1% - 20 grams 10 minutes

Amarillo, Cascade & Simcoe - 10 grams each at dry hop or thrown in during ferment

Gypsum 5 grams
Epson Salt 2 grams

Mash at 65 - 66c

IBU - 33

No Chill :D

Dumping this on a S189 yeast cake and will ferment at 16c

Rook

APA on S189?
"know something i don't Rook?" (insert "the snatch" accent here).

I'd go harder than 33IBU's too, but that's just me.

Other than that, it looks yummy.

EDIT:
..or is the 33 IBU NOT taking the no chill factor into account? ala, beersmith etc..

Yer Nath, i know its not the correct yeast so to speak, should be a cleaner beer, but just throwing something onto the yeast cake that became free today......need a supply for xmas so this was all i could come up with.

Manticle.....hows the brewing going mate?

Moved into a new place. Got a mild and a dubbel fermenting that were mashed here and bottled a few that were fermented at the old place including a doppel and a wee heavy.

Still setting everything up and aiming for improvements to my primitive system.

All good. Hope you're well.

Thinking of putting this together tomorrow as i have a few small bits of this and bits of that

Ale Malt - 70%
Pilsner Malt - 20%
Munich 1 - 10%

Magnum 12.1% - 10 grams 60 minutes
Amarillo 8.2% - 20 grams 10 minutes
Cascade 5.1% - 20 grams 10 minutes

Amarillo, Cascade & Simcoe - 10 grams each at dry hop or thrown in during ferment

Gypsum 5 grams
Epson Salt 2 grams

Mash at 65 - 66c

IBU - 33

No Chill :D

Rook

Got any crystal malt? maybe just a little bit (<250g), otherwise that looks great, I really like the amarillo/simcoe/cascade combo

Back