Style Of The Week 30/4/08 - Vienna Lager

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking to get a vienna lager down over the weekend. First attempt at this style and thought I'd keep things pretty simple. All suggestions welcome..

100% vienna
100% hallertau @ FWH

25IBUs
Wy2042 @ 10'C

sponge said:
Looking to get a vienna lager down over the weekend. First attempt at this style and thought I'd keep things pretty simple. All suggestions welcome..

100% vienna
100% hallertau @ FWH

25IBUs
Wy2042 @ 10'C
Start simple. Complicate things later. Should be good and clean. May need to lager for a few weeks to drop the yeast out.

Will taste filthy until it falls clear.

I'd recommend a Dortmunder be made and dumped on the yeast cake.

Bump.

I finally caught up with my brewing schedule and can devote a fridge to a lager till February. Heating up the strike liquor right now.
For anyone not aware, Brewman Steve now stocks Saaz T45 pellets (as opposed to the "weaker" regular T90) and I've been dying to give them a whirl to try and capture that Euro nose, and less trub. The only decent lager yeast I have in stock is S-189 but a big pitch of that should do, Switzerland's not too far away from Vienna anyway. :foammug:

Vienna Lager 2017
Vienna Lager

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 22.0
Total Grain (kg): 5.050
Total Hops (g): 33.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.054 (°P): 13.3
Final Gravity (FG): 1.014 (°P): 3.6
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 5.31 %
Colour (SRM): 8.8 (EBC): 17.3
Bitterness (IBU): 25.8 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 74
Boil Time (Minutes): 90

Grain Bill
----------------
4.500 kg Weyermann Vienna (89.11%)
0.500 kg Base Barrett Burston Pale (9.9%)
0.050 kg Carafa II malt (0.99%)

Hop Bill
----------------
33.0 g Saaz T45 Pellet (6% Alpha) @ 90 Minutes (Boil) (1.5 g/L) FWH

Misc Bill
----------------
Calcium Chloride

Single step Infusion at 65°C for 60 Minutes. However I'll be doing a "mini decoction" by boiling-up a kilo of the Vienna to bump up to Dex rest.
Fermented at 9°C [edit from original post] with Saflager S-189

Last edited:
S 189 can work from 9 - 22 c (according to their site), since you've dedicated the fridge anyway, is there a reason why you're fermenting a lager at 20c? Or is that just initial ferment then slowly ramp down temp to the usual lager temp?

Sorry, bloody software. I'll be doing 9 for about 10 days, then raise a bit for a d rest then a proper lager at around 4 degrees till February.

The wort just now after cubing
vienna 2017 wort.jpg

Hmm, Probably a bit towards the copper end for my liking. Even adding the Carafa 2 BrewMate predicted an EBC of 8.8 which should have been on the light side, but it's way more than that I'd say.

Previous recipes came out like this without the Carafa - probably just go 100% Vienna next time.

vienna 2016.jpg

Even adding the Carafa 2 BrewMate predicted an EBC of 8.8 which should have been on the light side, but it's way more than that I'd say.

And yet another reason to use BeerSmith Bribie. ;)

Previous recipes came out like this without the Carafa - probably just go 100% Vienna next time.

A !00% Vienna grist is always the best choice when paired with a decent liquid Lager yeast IMHO.

Last edited:
Pete I can't seem to find my old Beersmith passwords, ac number etc as it's been a few years and a couple of computers ago.
If you have time could you run recipe through BS and see what EBC it predicts?

I won't be brewing now till the end of Jan as I have 3 full kegs and 2 full fermenting fridges so I'll look into repurchasing BS then.

Pete I can't seem to find my old Beersmith passwords, ac number etc as it's been a few years and a couple of computers ago.
If you have time could you run recipe through BS and see what EBC it predicts?

I won't be brewing now till the end of Jan as I have 3 full kegs and 2 full fermenting fridges so I'll look into repurchasing BS then.

16.5 EBC mate

Brewers Friend predicts that grain bill at 19 EBC and anywhere between 9-11 SRM (depending on whose calculations they use). This supposedly puts it at, or just under the minimum for the 'style' (according to someone or something, mumble, murml....r .

Thanks for that, looks like BrewMate is still in the ballpark. I'd been expecting something a bit less red for some reason.

Colour’s beautiful. If it tastes like it looks when fermented, drink it and shut up.

Yep, looks perfect colour in the glass to me. I'd think 100% Vienna malt would only work colour wise (to 'style') if there were a couple of long decoctions thrown in for colour and caramelisation flavours. If that wasn't the go and you still wanted to tweak it, maybe 3-4% Melanoiden or a 33% dark Munich/67% Vienna would get around the same colour you have now, but make it a bit maltier.

Horses and courses, many ways to skin a cat, an' all....

4.2 Vienna Lager [BJCP]

Aroma: Moderately rich German malt aroma (of Vienna and/or Munich malt). A light toasted malt aroma may be
present. Similar, though less intense than Oktoberfest. Clean lager character, with no fruity esters or diacetyl. Noble
hop aroma may be low to none. Caramel aroma is inappropriate.

Appearance: Light reddish amber to copper colour. Bright clarity. Large, off-white, persistent head.

Flavour: Soft, elegant malt complexity is in the forefront, with a firm enough hop bitterness to provide a balanced
finish. Some toasted character from the use of Vienna malt. No roasted or caramel flavour. Fairly dry finish, with
both malt and hop bitterness present in the aftertaste. Noble hop flavour may be low to none.

I like the colour of the top one Bribie. My last Vienna lager was similar to the vibe Jack mention. It was about 59% Vienna, 32% Munich I, 4% Melanoidin, 2.5% CaraAroma. A little darker than I was hoping for. But still tasted good.

I think next time, I’ll do something similar to 75% Vienna, 21% Munich I, 1% Carafa I.

Anyway, here’s two pics of my latest version, the light has shown up the colour a little different. Really enjoy this style.

IMG_5569.jpg

IMG_5572.jpg

Back