Style Of The Week 23/8/06 - English Barleywine

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stuster

Big mash up
Reaction score
So this week a style that should be good for next winter, English Barleywine, 19B on the BJCP style guidelines.

So grains, hops, yeast, tips on fermenting big beers. All the usual stuff.

(No links as I am on holiday in beautiful Anna Bay and the real estate agent is kindly letting me use her computer. :unsure: )

Tell us all you know about this big style. :party:

19B. English Barleywine
Aroma: Very rich and strongly malty, often with a caramel-like aroma. May have moderate to strong fruitiness, often with a dried-fruit character. English hop aroma may range from mild to assertive. Alcohol aromatics may be low to moderate. The intensity of these aromatics often subsides with age. The aroma may have a rich character including bready, toasty, toffee, molasses, and/or treacle notes. Aged versions may have a sherry-like quality, possibly vinous or port-like aromatics, and generally more muted malt aromas. Low to no diacetyl.

Appearance: Color may range from rich gold to very dark amber or even dark brown. Often has ruby highlights, but should not be opaque. Low to moderate off-white head; may have low head retention. May be cloudy with chill haze at cooler temperatures, but generally clears to good to brilliant clarity as it warms. The color may appear to have great depth, as if viewed through a thick glass lens. High alcohol and viscosity may be visible in "legs" when beer is swirled in a glass.

Flavor: Strong, intense, complex, multi-layered malt flavors ranging from bready and biscuity through nutty, deep toast, dark caramel, toffee, and/or molasses. Moderate to high malty sweetness on the palate, although the finish may be moderately sweet to moderately dry (depending on aging). Some oxidative or vinous flavors may be present, and often complex alcohol flavors should be evident. Moderate to fairly high fruitiness, often with a dried-fruit character. Hop bitterness may range from just enough for balance to a firm presence; balance therefore ranges from malty to somewhat bitter. Low to moderately high hop flavor (usually UK varieties). Low to no diacetyl.

Mouthfeel: Full-bodied and chewy, with a velvety, luscious texture (although the body may decline with long conditioning). A smooth warmth from aged alcohol should be present. Carbonation may be low to moderate, depending on age and conditioning.

Overall Impression: The richest and strongest of the English Ales. A showcase of malty richness and complex, intense flavors. The character of these ales can change significantly over time; both young and old versions should be appreciated for what they are. The malt profile can vary widely; not all examples will have all possible flavors or aromas.

History: Usually the strongest ale offered by a brewery, and in recent years many commercial examples are now vintage-dated. Normally aged significantly prior to release. Often associated with the winter or holiday season.

Comments: Although often a hoppy beer, the English Barleywine places less emphasis on hop character than the American Barleywine and features English hops. English versions can be darker, maltier, fruitier, and feature richer specialty malt flavors than American Barleywines.

Ingredients: Well-modified pale malt should form the backbone of the grist, with judicious amounts of caramel malts. Dark malts should be used with great restraint, if at all, as most of the color arises from a lengthy boil. English hops such as Northdown, Target, East Kent Goldings and Fuggles. Characterful English yeast.

Vital Statistics:OG FG IBUs SRM ABV
1.080 - 1.120+ 1.018 - 1.030+ 35 - 70 8 - 22 8 - 12+%

Commercial Examples: Thomas Hardy's Ale, Burton Bridge Thomas Sykes Old Ale, Robinson's Old Tom, J.W. Lee's Vintage Harvest Ale, Fuller's Golden Pride, Young's Old Nick (unusual in its 7.2% ABV), Whitbread Gold Label, Lakefront Beer Line, Heavyweight Old Salty

So this week a style that should be good for next winter, English Barleywine, 19B on the BJCP style guidelines.

So grains, hops, yeast, tips on fermenting big beers. All the usual stuff.

(No links as I am on holiday in beautiful Anna Bay and the real estate agent is kindly letting me use her computer. :unsure: )

Tell us all you know about this big style. :party:

19B. English Barleywine
Aroma: Very rich and strongly malty, often with a caramel-like aroma. May have moderate to strong fruitiness, often with a dried-fruit character. English hop aroma may range from mild to assertive. Alcohol aromatics may be low to moderate. The intensity of these aromatics often subsides with age. The aroma may have a rich character including bready, toasty, toffee, molasses, and/or treacle notes. Aged versions may have a sherry-like quality, possibly vinous or port-like aromatics, and generally more muted malt aromas. Low to no diacetyl.

Appearance: Color may range from rich gold to very dark amber or even dark brown. Often has ruby highlights, but should not be opaque. Low to moderate off-white head; may have low head retention. May be cloudy with chill haze at cooler temperatures, but generally clears to good to brilliant clarity as it warms. The color may appear to have great depth, as if viewed through a thick glass lens. High alcohol and viscosity may be visible in "legs" when beer is swirled in a glass.

Flavor: Strong, intense, complex, multi-layered malt flavors ranging from bready and biscuity through nutty, deep toast, dark caramel, toffee, and/or molasses. Moderate to high malty sweetness on the palate, although the finish may be moderately sweet to moderately dry (depending on aging). Some oxidative or vinous flavors may be present, and often complex alcohol flavors should be evident. Moderate to fairly high fruitiness, often with a dried-fruit character. Hop bitterness may range from just enough for balance to a firm presence; balance therefore ranges from malty to somewhat bitter. Low to moderately high hop flavor (usually UK varieties). Low to no diacetyl.

Mouthfeel: Full-bodied and chewy, with a velvety, luscious texture (although the body may decline with long conditioning). A smooth warmth from aged alcohol should be present. Carbonation may be low to moderate, depending on age and conditioning.

Overall Impression: The richest and strongest of the English Ales. A showcase of malty richness and complex, intense flavors. The character of these ales can change significantly over time; both young and old versions should be appreciated for what they are. The malt profile can vary widely; not all examples will have all possible flavors or aromas.

History: Usually the strongest ale offered by a brewery, and in recent years many commercial examples are now vintage-dated. Normally aged significantly prior to release. Often associated with the winter or holiday season.

Comments: Although often a hoppy beer, the English Barleywine places less emphasis on hop character than the American Barleywine and features English hops. English versions can be darker, maltier, fruitier, and feature richer specialty malt flavors than American Barleywines.

Ingredients: Well-modified pale malt should form the backbone of the grist, with judicious amounts of caramel malts. Dark malts should be used with great restraint, if at all, as most of the color arises from a lengthy boil. English hops such as Northdown, Target, East Kent Goldings and Fuggles. Characterful English yeast.

Vital Statistics:OG FG IBUs SRM ABV
1.080 - 1.120+ 1.018 - 1.030+ 35 - 70 8 - 22 8 - 12+%

Commercial Examples: Thomas Hardy's Ale, Burton Bridge Thomas Sykes Old Ale, Robinson's Old Tom, J.W. Lee's Vintage Harvest Ale, Fuller's Golden Pride, Young's Old Nick (unusual in its 7.2% ABV), Whitbread Gold Label, Lakefront Beer Line, Heavyweight Old Salty
Hmm. A horrible, sickly sweet, beer style if ever there was one. But the, I wouldn't include Robinsons Old Tom (which is a beautiful Winter Ale in cask form) in the style.

Well I have to disagree about sick and sweet Barley Wines.

I gotta say one of my favourite beers to drink and make. My MASTER Brewer also used to work for Bass Breweries and Bass #1 is noted as the first commercially availible style.

Some really nifty tricks I learnt from MASTER here;

* Get your water salts right due to the amount of hops
* Mix your grist bills, 50% Ale and Lager is fine
* Mash in at 64 C- rest 1 hour
* Run off - have at least a 6 pack on hand. First worts MUST be run off slow, at least 1 hours for the 1st worts, then start to speed up, so about a 2-3 hours for run

The run-off is a real test of patience and technique and is you really know your brewing. When your using almost 750-1kg per litre you need to really get the efficiency and make sure you are taking it easy.

* Lots of yeast
* Lots of owygens

Have I forgot to talk about 10-20% Sugar. This will stop the sweet and sickly profile...

Scotty

Well I have to disagree about sick and sweet Barley Wines.

I gotta say one of my favourite beers to drink and make. My MASTER Brewer also used to work for Bass Breweries and Bass #1 is noted as the first commercially availible style.
Taste is ... a matter of taste. To mine, Barley Wine (Bass' included) is horrible, sickly stuff. But then, quoting Bass at me in relation to English beer is about as convincing as quoting Fosters with regard to Australian beer. Enough said or I'll derail the thread.

I'm a great fan of Barleywine too. With the right mash program etc as mentioned before by ///, right yeast choice and adequate bitterness to balance or rise above the high maltiness.

Surely someone else like Barleywine? Pedro? Darren?

I like barleywine! Some of my fellow brewers don't seem to share my appreciation for drinking it out of secondary though.

I don't like english BW sas they are usually sickly sweet.

For me BW is hit and miss and it takes a good 12 months until you find out.

Long boil (2-3 hour), no aroma hops, and heaps of yeast should do the trick.

cheers

Darren

At the risk of being booted out back to my sign-up date, is it possible to make BW from kit and kilo gear?

I'm not sure where to start looking for recipes in the off-shelf range.

Any pointers would be much appreciated :beer:

InCider

Yes it is possible, you would need a bit of sugar in there too as I find extract often does not attenuate well. The most important thing is making sure you have good fermentation management.

Yes it is possible, you would need a bit of sugar in there too as I find extract often does not attenuate well. The most important thing is making sure you have good fermentation management.

Thanks Kai, I'll give it some thought - I'm just cruisng through the recipes now.

Cheers,

InCider.

At the risk of being booted out back to my sign-up date, is it possible to make BW from kit and kilo gear?

I'm not sure where to start looking for recipes in the off-shelf range.

Any pointers would be much appreciated :beer:

InCider

Yep..

I have made 2 Kits & Bits Barley Wines in the past that have managed a 3rd 2000 Aus Nationals and a 6th 2001 Aus Nationals - from memory here is the recipee

Used 2 x tins of Muntons Barley Wine.
3kg LME
approx 50gms of EKG
Did a 30 min biol of the hops and LME
OG was 1100Approx - aiming for 24ltrs - add some dextrose if u miss the OG
Used Wyeast Sweet Mead yeast - big big starter
Bottled at approx 1030 - no primimg sugar
Left for min of 9 months - but agree with Darren - 12-18months is alot better
Still had 2 bottles left that were 3 years old - they were excellent.

Currently have an All Grain Lees Harvest Barley Wine on tap with approx 30stubbies of the same bottle aging.

Hope this helps

Thanks Phill & GMK! I really appreciate your help and will post the results when they're done. I'll take the recipe and let sit for the warmer months and tuck in next year. Sweet as! :D

The reviews are tops, and the recipe is what I needed.

Cheers,

InCider

Thanks Phill & GMK! I really appreciate your help and will post the results when they're done. I'll take the recipe and let sit for the warmer months and tuck in next year. Sweet as! :D

The reviews are tops, and the recipe is what I needed.

Cheers,

InCider

Fantastic - glad to have helped... :super:

This is one style i am yet to brew so judging from the mixed reactions to barley wine are there any readily available products that i could purchase to get a taste of before i commit to 22 litres of the stuff which i may or may not like.

Cheers
Big D

here are some available ones i got thes from wikipedia

Canada

Olde Deuteronomy from Alley Kat Brewing Company

England

Elizabethan Ale from Harvey's
Golden Pride from Fuller's
Bass No 1 Barley Wine from White Shield Brewery
Old Tom from Robinson's
Old Nick from Young's
Gold Label from Whitbread

USA

Horn Dog from Flying Dog Brewery
Old Foghorn from Anchor Brewing Company
Bigfoot Ale from Sierra Nevada Brewing Company
Old Crustacean from Rogue Ales
Monster Ale from Brooklyn Brewery
Old Horizontal from Victory beer
Old Boardhead from Full Sail Brewing Company
Old Guardian from Stone Brewing Company
Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barley_wine"

here's a recipie from my vault i'm looking at putting down for next winter, it's from dodger dan

3kg light malt extract
2.5 kg Pale Malt
500g Cara Pils
500 g Flaked Barley
250g Roasted Barley
250 g Chocolate Malt
250 g Black Strap Molasses
4 oz Northern Brewer
2 oz Fuggles
1 tsp Irish Moss
Ale Yeast
Champagne Yeast

Mash crushed grains 60 -90 min
collect 12 litres wort
add remaining malt and molasses
bring to boil
add Northern Brewer
add Fuggles and Irish Moss 40 min in
Strain and top up tp 23 Litres

Ferment as normal with Ale Yeast

When it come times to bottling pitch the champgne yeast a few days before so when you prime this bad boy your yeast will have the legs to get the job done.

Opens around 1095

Store this for 6 months

Dogger

-Phill

I know that several years ago the manager of the Country Brewer at Penrith entered a barley wine into the Bathurst comp that apparently used 6 tins of Brewiser Pilsner as the base... It came first! He had the plaque on proud display on the wall of the shop.

Cheers,
TSD

I love this style and make it with a kit and malt, hops and sugar additives. Try Demerara sugar and invert it. If you are worried about it being a bit sweet add extra hops, low acid preferably golding flowers if you can get it.

With this style I drop it after 2 days of vigours fermentation to get most of the beer off the yeast and then I leave it in the second fermenter for about 3 weeks. Cellar the bottles at the lowest temp the yeast will work, about 16 C and prime with less sugar. Sample some at the 6 month, 12 month, they hit their straps at the 2 year mark. I use my best old king brown bottles and cap with the Cooper's lids which are better quality.

Finally, add a touch of Australia to the style. For this a slighly beefed up version of Coopers Vintage Ale using their yeast and some pride of ringwood flowers (easy with these :) ) or whatever tickles your fancy.

Back