Style Of The Week 11/10/06 - Saison

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Saison, oh yes please, I can't wait for mine to be on tap [and bottled], but wait I must :( They are tasting fantastic from the samples :) .
You will see them in my signature below.

Dare I say it?

Bulk buy for Sydney-side Saison fanciers, as soon as G&G start selling online?

Just a thought.

Seth :p

I made Doc's receipe as per page 1 and it is a belter. The only difference was I used NZ B Saaz for the peppery, spicy style I find they impart.

However, after never trying a commercial type, I'll go some with you Seth :)

Cheers.

Saison, oh yes please, I can't wait for mine to be on tap [and bottled], but wait I must :( They are tasting fantastic from the samples :) .
You will see them in my signature below.

You old slut slayer you. :D

Warren -

OK, so b4 I stray 2 far off-topic here: Can I get an opinion from someone in Melbourne or Adelaide, perhaps, as to the taste and or freshness of the imported Saisons?

Then, and only then, can Duff and I make a decision to purchase some en bulk.

Beerz
and thanks in advance for some input.
U can contact me offline if U wish, pm or email, if you don't wish to go further Off-topic.

Seth :p

BTW, Warren...put it awaaaay.

i would love to go in for 2 or 3 bottles. why not split 12 750ml bottles from megabeer. - 108$ plus postage.

OK, so b4 I stray 2 far off-topic here: Can I get an opinion from someone in Melbourne or Adelaide, perhaps, as to the taste and or freshness of the imported Saisons?

BTW, Warren...put it awaaaay.

Weizguy Les AKA Seth.

I've had the Dupont twice thus far and found it to be a fantastic drop. Freshness or lack thereof seemed to be of little consequence and did not detract in the least. More pale (looks like a pils) than I expected. All the great complex notes that you would expect. Nice mingling hop character (maybe earthy Goldings), bit of tropical fruit, some bubblegum and a bit of the so-called sea air in the glass (could smell the beer all day). My only complaint is it's too damn easy to drink for it's strength and you'd be tempted to down two bottles in one sitting and feel like shite the next day. :lol:

Next;

Saison Regal pours an amber colour, has a form of added "caramel" flavour to a sourish but what I'd called controlled or contrived ale. It feels as if all the flavours aren't fermentation based as opposed to perhaps the brewer adding everything post fermentation to taste. Also think it's got an overly heavy hit of corriander, which I prefer in total moderation. Other than that quite tasty and easy to drink. Just not the contemplative classic that is Dupont. ;)

BTW I've got my own Saison in it's second week of primary fermentation ATM. I'm planning to deliberately "funk" the second keg via the addition of a starter made from the dregs of a bottle of Orval. The whole thing could go pear shaped on me but nothing ventured, nothing gained I say. :beerbang:

Put "what" away Les? :blink:

Warren -

here's a pic I took at a cafe in Brussels recently....
Saison_Dupont.JPG

reading all your great reviews on the saison brews has made me keen to give it a crack too. the problem is i am an extract brewer and have only seen all grain recipes. looking at the grains used though, i think it would be quite possible to make a decent extract saison. this is what i have come up with and would love some feedback. (sorry i don't have one of those brewing programs you guys have).

30 litre batch
aiming for an original gravity of about 1060
IBU of about 30

Extracts:
4 kilos of dry LME
0.5 kg of dextrose
0.2 kg of brown sugar

Grain:
350 grams Light Crystal Malt
200 grams Aromatic

Hops:
50 grams of hallertau (4.2 alpha) for 60 mins (would have used Styrian Goldings but have none left)
20 grams Saaz (3.4 alpha) for 60 mins
25 grams Saaz (3.4 alpha) for 5 minutes

Extras:
25 grams of crushed coriander seed for 5 minutes

Yeast:
WYeast 3724

any feedback would be greatly appreciated. a long and warm primary fermentation seems to mentioned frequently, but i didn't find any recomendations for secondary fermentation. i am also curious on the size of the yeast starter should be for pitching? is 600 mls enough?

cheers

i'm just writing this in the hope someone can give me a bit of feedback on the above recipe. i might also throw in some crushed cardamon pods too. some are kicking around the house.

cheers

BBM

Recipe looks good. That said I'd lose the Brown sugar and most of the Crystal Malt. Aromatic malt you can't get here (same amount of Munich malt would be similar). Wouldn't go much more than around 150g of medium crystal malt in your average batch. You could even get by without any spec malts at all. My latest batch is all Pils and Pale malt with a small amount of wheat. Last year's had a small amount of spec. malts (Vienna and Cara amber) and to tell you the truth I prefer this year's version already. I racked it last week.

600ml starter will be fine. Ferment at 25 degrees for your first couple of days and then try and ramp the temp up to around 30 degrees to finish. Don't expect the brew to clear for around 3 weeks. Yeast can be a bit of the slow side. :)

As for a secondary? Yes I'd do it. You'll have to get it off the primary yeast and give it a bit of time to clear.

Warren -

thanks for your advice warren,

will probably not worry about specialty grain if not really neccessary then. one less pot to clean and a lot less messing around :D

cheers

OT a bit, warren, I think that Melanoidin can be subbed for Aromatic (and/or Honey malt). At least according to wes in this old thread.

Not suggesting you need to use it, bbm. There's nothing wrong with simplicity. Works for me. :rolleyes:

No worries Stuster. Was probably trying to define the differences between the two batches I've done so far. Much prefer the barebones version which is just Ale, Pils & Wheat malt. Seems to allow the character of the yeast to really shine through and enhance the dry finish.

Last year's version had small amounts of spec. malts to deepen the colour and it seemed to make the beer a little demanding to drink. Dry malt flavour seemed to enhance the spec malts in a detrimental sort of way. :blink:

This year's vintage tasting superb straight from the primary fermenter. Very much like liquid fruit salad. :lol:

One keg has been given a doseage of Orval dregs to add a bit of Brett character. Should be interesting (I hope. ) :rolleyes:

Warren -

I'm planning to do a saison early in the new year, so i think i'll get my hands on farmhouse ales like everyone suggests. Dymocks was out when i checked today, they had brew like a monk (which i have) and wild brews, but farmhouse was gone.
i'll search wider.

Wet horse is for Orval or anything with brettanomyces I think. Any updates on your seasonal sweaty equine beer, warren?

Stuster I tried some from the conditioning keg the other day. 7 Weeks old and starting to taste quite interesting. Non-brett keg is really good but the Orvaled one is tasting something special. Feint sourness and some light leathery type of notes. :)

Hoping to source enough champagne bottles to bottle the whole thing in the next few weeks. I'm about 8-10 empties shy ATM.

Warren -

Interesting that you are keeping the non-brett one conditioning for that long. Is that just to provide a control to the brett one, do you find they get better with age, or is just the lack of bottles?

I think I'm with Kai on drinking rather on the young side. My saison has reached the grand old age of 6 days so of course I had a glass last night :lol: and it was good. Carbonation will probably improve a touch but it was still fine, with a reasonable head. Lots of fruity aromas and flavour, good citrus from the EKG and Saaz, and a long, dry aftertaste. I should be able to resist opening another one today, but what about tomorrow? :D

Oh sorry Stuster. May have misunderstood me. Non brett keg is almost a memory. Probably only a pint or two left before she kicks. :( Has been a really nice batch and romped on last year's effort. I started consuming it when it was around 2 weeks in the keg. I must confess it got a lot better towards the end though.

Only bottling the Orvaled version. Just gotta keep my eye out for champagne bottles. They sure don't grow on trees. :rolleyes:

Warren -

Good to hear it. Then my 5 days is not as bad as it could have been.

Must resist early drinking. Must resist early drinking. Must resist early drinking. Must resist early drinking. Must resist early drinking. Must resist early drinking. Must resist early drinking. Must resist early drinking.....

The brett experiment sounds good. Are you planning on infecting any other beers?

The brett experiment sounds good. Are you planning on infecting any other beers?

More than likely. Got a packet of Rosalare yeast and hopefully a Flanders Red is going to happen up the track. :beerbang:

Warren -

You old slut slayer you. :D

Warren -

Sad to say Warren the Saison Slut Slayer has gone :( and nice it was.
The Saison PTSD Cure is tasting nice with earthy flavours and a hint of lemon :) it's a nice change.

Back