Stupid thread but I'm new

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More chance if you take the lid off all the time, breathe on the wort, scratch you beard over it, generally f@ck around with it exposed.

Look, once you get used to it you won't even measure it at all. You will know when it is ready via experience.

Here's some really good advice:

Make your beer and LEAVE IT ALONE.

It won't get any better no matter what you measure, or how many times. As a matter of fact it will likely get worse.

Better spend your time making another one. that will help build the needed experience.

Good luck.

More chance if you take the lid off all the time, breathe on the wort, scratch you beard over it, generally f@ck around with it exposed.

Look, once you get used to it you won't even measure it at all. You will know when it is ready via experience.

Here's some really good advice:

Make your beer and LEAVE IT ALONE.

It won't get any better no matter what you measure, or how many times. As a matter of fact it will likely get worse.

Better spend your time making another one. that will help build the needed experience.

Good luck.
I don't have a beard, but why is so wierd for someone new to brew over 75% efficiency you guys gatekeep much, yes I realise leaving alone is key so I'm propered to have measured up brews hence why I'm on this forum and asking checking the vitals so I can learn Even if I break that layer of CO2 I don't care I'm trying improve my technique and more experienced brewers tell me what I'm doing wrong. Is that point of home brew, not to be the best brewer possible I take pride in my brew beginner or not

Good on you mate. Take heaps of pride. Glad you are in the community.

Hell, you may even grow a beard one day.

75% efficiency is okay. But efficiency is for cost accountants, not brewers .

I don't GAF if I spend an extra five bucks on making a special beer. Even if its only special to me.

The thing is, we really don't make beer.

We make wort.

Yeast makes beer.

We are yeast farmers.

Head'm up, cut'm in, move'm out.

Let the little beasties do their thing and all will be well.

Good on you mate. Take heaps of pride. Glad you are in the community.

Hell, you may even grow a beard one day.

75% efficiency is okay. But efficiency is for cost accountants, not brewers .

I don't GAF if I spend an extra five bucks on making a special beer. Even if its only special to me.

The thing is, we really don't make beer.

We make wort.

Yeast makes beer.

We are yeast farmers.

Head'm up, cut'm in, move'm out.

Let the little beasties do their thing and all will be well.
I had a beard before my gf hated so I'm clean face now but so true haha

Mate, if I could have my time over and I was just starting to brew, I'd teach myself this truth:

If you do not have patience, brewing beer will teach you its necessity.

Be calm, brother, and expect that you will have some successes and some failures.

You will learn more from the failures. We all do.

I use my refractometer to measure my gravity pre-fermentation. I use an hydrometer immediately before bottling, just to make sure what I already know, which is that fermentation is complete, as I don't keg but bottle.
In 15 years of brewing I am yet to have a bottle bomb. If not for that, I wouldn't bother measuring at all. I don't really care whether my beer is 4.6% ABV or 4.8% ABV. Cost of my batches is irrelevant, I set all my costs in BeerSmith to $0.
Enjoy the brewing journey, enjoy the beer. It's a hobby after all.

Mate, if I could have my time over and I was just starting to brew, I'd teach myself this truth:

If you do not have patience, brewing beer will teach you its necessity.

Be calm, brother, and expect that you will have some successes and some failures.

You will learn more from the failures. We all do.
Thanks man, I'm going to use the refractometer with hydrometer and try to work out what I'm doing wrong I suspect it's using the SG scale on my refractometer and not the Brix for og.
I enjoy this hobby and every single batch I make is teaching me something new it's almost like a philosophy and science lesson roled into one

Found my problem, if I match up the SG scale on refractometer with Brix og is 1.048. I put this into brewfather and current Brix I get pretty damm close, brewfather using refractometer measures 1.01 and actual hydrometer measures 1.009.
Sample was taken at 20.6 C, I'm happy now I know what's wrong but this beer was meant to be 1.035 og haha looks like I'm going need to calculate efficiency.
Thanks all for the advice
IMG_20220506_182851.jpg
Screenshot_20220506-182819.png

Just a matter of convention but if you are talking about SG always use three decimal places ie1.010 rather than ie1.01
Yes I know its the same thing but it can save an immense amount of confusion. Especially as people use "Points" for a lot of shorthand calculations. Points being the last couple of digits of the SG.
Take for apparent attenuation we might say of a beer started at 48, finished at 10, so the AA is (48-10)/48 = 79%, if you used the full SG (1.048-1.010)/1.048 = 0.0362 which isn’t sensible or correct.
Same for quick calculating ABV, Change in gravity divided by 7.5 ie 38/7.5 = 5%ABV
Mark

Latest posts

Back