Stupid things you have done on brewday.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
seamad said:
Mate I'm gutted, why did you put that photo up ?
I thought the same thing back when Tony first posted that photo directly after it happened. Somehow my brain pretty quickly reverted back to the original image I had in my mind though, so there's hope that the same might happen to you too.

Always cracks me up when people turn up at my place for the first time. They usually look nervous and then they say..... gee..... you don't look like your picture :p

How we now see Tony:

Tony_teeth.jpg

Florian said:
I thought the same thing back when Tony first posted that photo directly after it happened. Somehow my brain pretty quickly reverted back to the original image I had in my mind though, so there's hope that the same might happen to you too.
Same here!

This thread is awesome, I have belly laughed about 10 times so far!

The worst I have done is forget to empty spent grain, in a plastic bag next to my bin... forget for a day or two, remember in bed that night, forget about it again that morning, go to work, go on a date after work, bring her back after a 35 degree day, whole house STINKS like spew...

I think she tried to ignore it... but needless to say did not get lucky on that occasion.

Underetimating the boil over on a pot of malt extract.
Ceramic cooktop covered in sticky sugary muck...not an easy cleanup, heard about it for days .

1. turned HLT ball value handel on to start sparge, turned away to talk to hecklers ..... mash tun overflowed.

2. this ones my favourite as i trusted my wife. I got asked to go pick up kids from school (yes had day off). I was making a stout with only 60min hop addition and boil was to finish in 15-20mins before i got home from picking up kids. Wife assured me she would turn it off at the precise time. Got home opend garage and saw flame still on. Brew was fine in the end but she hasnt forgotten ..... leverage love it!

last brewday with my 1V Recirculating BIAB rig..

Programmed the PID controller, strike water heated up, crushed grain, mashed for an hour, hoisted bag. Everything going well.

Ramp up to boil with the PID element and an OTS immersion element for extra grunt as it was bloody cold. Went inside to watch some footy for half an hour, the 60min addition (only addition for this stout) had been done. Cool.

Literally.....cool.

Didn't double check my programming of the PID, and at this stage, I had accidentally progammed a 0 temp for 0 minutes step after the ramp up to boil step.
For those that don't use PID, a 0 min step will hold the program at the temp set point indefintely, until the user overrides it. So, with both elements in, it got the boil, I added my bittering addition and walked away. The PID element turned off because of the misprogramming, and i was left trying to boil with just the OTS element. Came out at half time to find a "only just simmering" instead of boiling, pot. Had to boil for another 45mins to get anywhere near my post boil volume.

Atleast it was a singular bittering addition only. If it had been multiple additions it would have been rooted.

So far I have done various stooopid stuff during many a mash resulting in no beersies for me. Also have thought a beer was going to be dangerous and so only bottled half and tipped the rest and it was almost a full on cracker GUTTED. I also tried to boil with a near empty gas bottle last time round thinking "eventually this will boil if I leave it". All I did was add another hour to my day going to fill the bottle.
During said brew I had also emptied the pot to "help" get it up to boil meaning I was ripping myself off. I then topped up with water and then thought "oh no I have diluted too much and this will not balance with this many IBUs" so then mixed in some sugars...

Yet to convert at my end so not sure of the results... TBC

Stupidest thing I can remember doing right now? Probably end of brew day, wrapping the top of my 19L BigW SS pot with plastic wrap at the end of the boil, and putting the lid back on, but forgetting to turn off the heat. Thankfully, I only left it unattended for 5 to 10 minutes, so the plastic wasn't melted. And yes, I think I had been drinking a little too much that brew session.

I walked away from my BIAB keggle during the mash for 3 or 4 minutes on saturday and the mash temp jumped from 60 to 80 degrees :(
a immersion chiller quickly fashioned out of some copper tube got it back down to 66 around 10-15 minutes later
It had sat at around 60 for 1/2 an hour due to my burner playing up
a starch test showed it had converted by that point, but I'll have to wait and see :unsure:

Hosting a Worthogs brew-day at my place in '98.

Too much going on, drinking, too many brews in one day, raining, drinking, BBQ, drinking, "you want to start ANOTHER mash??", drinking, talking shit, drinking, multiple power failures, drinking (I REALLY should EAT something!!), drinking, did I ACTUALLY eat anything today? Where's the hops? Did I actually PLAN this brew?

I note a common thread herein: Males, alcohol, multi-tasking = potential for catastrophic cockups!

PS. The "planned" brew of the day won multiple state/national & one international prize(s), so I guess it wasn't a complete washout after all....

Edit: I've PISSED myself laughing at some of the posts so far ('nice to know I'm not alone).

MartinOC said:
PS. The "planned" brew of the day won multiple state/national & one international prize(s), so I guess it wasn't a complete washout after all....

Edit: I've PISSED myself laughing at some of the posts so far ('nice to know I'm not alone).

the important q, could you reproduce such quality ?

I won a vicbrew belgium pale ale, that was meant to be an ESB, but I stuffed all the hops and evey thing up on brew day I just threw t-58 at it and let it ferment form 20 to 27 as I had no hope for it :)

the important q, could you reproduce such quality ?

I won a vicbrew belgium pale ale, that was meant to be an ESB, but I stuffed all the hops and evey thing up on brew day I just threw t-58 at it and let it ferment form 20 to 27 as I had no hope for it :)
Mate, I have NO IDEA at all - I was absolutely off my banana by the time that day was finished. If you want to replicate it, have a look at the VICBREW 2002 recipe booklet (Pg. 18). In subsequent Vicbrew competitions, I tasted a lot of entries that were similar (not to mention, very good!), but not quite there (age?). I'll take that as a compliment that folks wanted to replicate my beer.

Edit: I shared the last bottle of the batch with my old man (he introduced me to real-ales at the age of 14) at about 10 years old & it was still magnificent.

Attached the drill to my monster mill for first time, perfect... until it jammed. So i gave it a little more rev & accidently squeezed the trigger & locked it on. Full speed.

The base & hopper does a spin, shooting grain right across the shed all through my son's drum kit and absolutely everywhere, then the drill pulls out of my hand and spins until it runs out of cord, all wrapped up. I had to dismantle the drum kit, and move a heap of stuff to clean it up. It was everywhere.

A bad workman blames his tools.

#$%@ tools

Did my second BIAB last Saturday and went to check mash temp and dropped the digital thermometer into the mash, nackered it. Had too many beers at that point and didn't have to guts to ask the misses to get me one down the street. Had to wing it from there on for mash out, hope it turns out alright.

Back