Stupid Question For A New Masher.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paleman

Reaction score
Ok, im going to ask a silly question. But i dont mind looking silly, because i want to learn.

Shortly, i will be doing my first partial mash. Just using basic gear, such as a mini lauter tun, and an esky.

Eventually i want to go all grain, when i learn to mash properly. So that will mean aquiring the correct gear.

Now to my question, i frequently see mashing tuns, or eskys converted, with braided hose on the bottom, leading to the outlet.

What purpose does the braid provide ?? :blink: Does it act as a filter of some kind. How does the mash liquid get into the hose and to the outlet of the tun.

I'd love a good explanation, as i have no chance of seeing one in the flesh, i dont know any all grain brewers.

Sorry for the silly question, and thanks for any answers. :)

Hi Paleman

The braid forms a point where the mash is filtered. The husks from the crushed malt form a filter bed against the braid and the wort is clarified as it passes through the filter bed. This is why you don't want to mill or crack the grain too fine and shred the husk.

If you haven't seen it already, the How to Brew site will help you with some of this info.

Why don't you fill in your location on your profile, as their maybe someone near by that you could visit so you can see an all-grain batch in motion.

Cheers
Pedro

Gulf Brewery said:
Hi Paleman

The braid forms a point where the mash is filtered. The husks from the crushed malt form a filter bed against the braid and the wort is clarified as it passes through the filter bed. This is why you don't want to mill or crack the grain too fine and shred the husk.

If you haven't seen it already, the How to Brew site will help you with some of this info.

Why don't you fill in your location on your profile, as their maybe someone near by that you could visit so you can see an all-grain batch in motion.

Cheers
Pedro
[post="127453"][/post]​

Thanks for your prompt reply Gulf, i live in Whyalla. South Aus.

So, from your reply, theres nothing under the braid. The liquid is allowed to pass through the braid. And acts as a filter. If this is so, then its all too clear !! :party:

I'd love to watch a mash, i learn easily. Anyone nearby willing :D

Thanks for that link Brau. Very much appreciate it.

I'm ok with the mashing concept. But i'm still struggling with the purpose of the braid in the bottom of the tun.

Paleman send Dicko a PM he's in Arno Bay,and there is at least one AGer in Pt. Lincoln.

I know Dicko would help you out,beware you will be in for sampling some of SA's best brews ! :party:

Batz

If your keen to drive to tamworth with one of those snappers for the BBQ i can help you out :)

Im not sure if there are any AG brewers in South Aus ???????

There must be a couple :)

cheers

Geez, this could be dangerous, Arno Bay is only an hours drive away. And its a great fishing town...i love my fishing.

Tony, i pass through Tamworth at least once a year to visit my Oldies who live on the Gold Coast.

Heres a pic of my most recent snapper. Went 11 kilo, 24 pound.

11kiloMe.jpg

The braid is like an agricultural pipe drain, the grain husk is the cotton sock and blue metal. The purpose is to collect the water that has filterted through the bed of grist and collected the sugars.

It is important that the water runs through the grist fairly uniformally and that it doesn't favour a particular path. If this does not happen some sugars will remain in the grain bed and your mash will be less efficient.

The pickup / drain mechanism doesn't have to be a braid, it can be a pipe manifold or a false bottom. I think Palmer's How To Brew book covers both of these. Each method has its pros and cons.

All the best.

Scott

Paleman,

I just read your initial question again ... just to make sure you have this covered, the internal rubber / plastic hose is removed from the stainless steel braid. It is effectively a mesh that the liquor passes through without carrying any largish particles.

Scott

Still no comprehendy sah !!

All i need to know........does the braid allow liquid to pass through it. Is it ( the braid ) the actual filter.

Or, is there copper tube through, on the inside of the braid, and the liquid passes through somewhere else.

I just need a simple mechanical explanation. :D

Once again, thanks for your patience all. Ask a stupid question, get a million answers. :p

Batz, are you on the Sunshine Coast ??

Oops your post is gone. :blink: :D

Paleman said:
Still no comprehendy sah !!

All i need to know........does the braid allow liquid to pass through it. Is it ( the braid ) the actual filter.
[post="127479"][/post]​

Yes

Paleman said:
Or, is there copper tube through, on the inside of the braid, and the liquid passes through somewhere else.
[post="127479"][/post]​

No

I know mate, once we understand this stuff we take it for granted and forget that people who aren't completely comfortable with the principles will be unsure if what they think they see or understand is actually correct.

Again, good luck with it all and keep asking questions.

Scott

The braid is the filter yes,no there is no copper pipe inside the braid.
Yes I am on the sunshine coast...sort of

Batz

Ok.....i'm on the right track. Too easy. Thanks Scott. Sort of lifts a huge weight off my shoulders, in understanding what happens at the bottom of the Tun. Thanks for your advice. B)

Batz, i love that part of our country to death. Stayed at Noosa Heads at my old mans expense. Bloody beautiful place. I like it better than the Coast. Thanks for your input too. :beerbang:

Paleman said:
Ok.....i'm on the right track. Too easy. Thanks Scott. Sort of lifts a huge weight off my shoulders, in understanding what happens at the bottom of the Tun. Thanks for your advice. B)

Batz, i love that part of our country to death. Stayed at Noosa Heads at my old mans expense. Bloody beautiful place. I like it better than the Coast. Thanks for your input too. :beerbang:
[post="127487"][/post]​

Cheers
Noosa Heads and where the cave is quite different believe me

Batz

Batz said:
Paleman said:

[post="127487"][/post]​

Cheers
Noosa Heads and where the cave is quite different believe me

Batz
[post="127488"][/post]​

So where are ya then fella, cant be that much of a secret. Anyway its a beautiful part of Australia...........i love it. :)

Paleman ,

Dont forget to remove the rubber core to the SS Braid .

I know people have a lot of sucess with the SS braid in conjuction with a pump.

Personally find a slotted copper manifold works better for me with or without a pump . especially if the crush on your grain is not giving you a good filter bed of the grain husks .

Pumpy :)

Back