Stupid Question - Co2 Cylinder In Fridge?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fingerlickin_B

Mo Bitta, Mo Betta!
Reaction score
I used the search function and found nothing on this one.

There would undoubtedly be problems caused by keeping your gas bottle in the fridge, but I would like to hear from anyone who has ever actually tried it.

I assume there will be a pressure loss and possible inefficiency/wastage of gas?
What about the gas perhaps coming out in liquid form?
Anything else?

No, before anyone suggests plumbing hose through the fridge wall, Im asking this as the *possible* new residence is a third floor apartment with fridge already supplied and no room for another, so Ill have to make do with whats already there...I don't eat much and the fridge looks positively huge so the keg/s will have plenty of room :)

*-Of three major considerations regarding the decision whether to choose or not choose the apartment option is beer :chug:

PZ.

Hi PZ

I wouldn't imagnie the cylinder being at 0-2*C would affect the gas state at all. Consider that the gas inside the bottle will be under huge pressure and substantially below 0*C anyway. Heat might be more of a concern than cold.

Does someone else know of the safe operating temperature range for a CO2 cylinder?

Cheers

Bazza.

When I first started kegging I kept my gas bottle in the fridge as I had a 1.5kg bottle, I found it did not effect ti at all, except for the fact you are taking up valuable fridge space.

I now have it outside but mainly because I have a 9kg bottle now

I think the main problem with having the gas cylinder in the fridge is that it can shorten the life of your regulator. AFAIK the regulator will not like being in the cold moist conditions for a long period of time. I think I have seen pics on here where others have kept there regulator covered in plastic while in the fridge.

Cheers
:beer:
Mothballs

Mothballs said:
I think the main problem with having the gas cylinder in the fridge is that it can shorten the life of your regulator. AFAIK the regulator will not like being in the cold moist conditions for a long period of time. I think I have seen pics on here where others have kept there regulator covered in plastic while in the fridge.

Cheers
Mothballs
[post="70289"][/post]​

Yeah, that sounds fair enough.

Thanks for the replies fellas :)

PZ.

I currently keep my cylinder (9kg) in the fridge and have not had a problem at all.

If my memory serves me correctly, co2 needs to be at something like -38C for any effect to the state of the gas.

I still have room for 3 kegs + bottle... And I have 3 taps, so it all makes sense to me.

Back