Stupid Me

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dropbear85

Reaction score
Stupid me dry hopped in a keg with no hop bag

As soon as I trew the little buggers in the keg i thought something wasn't right....... :blink:
I guess stuff like this is bound to happen every now and then when you've had a few bevies and try to do something brew related.

I didn't throw much in, maybe 5-10g but still enough to clog the lines. When i tried to pour the first beer it completly clogged and I had to take the dip tube out and blow it with my air compressor to un-clog it. I put it back together and have got a couple of beer out of it but it pours slow and has a few floaties in it so I'm guessing its clogging up again.

So how do I fix it guys?

I was thinking of syphoning to another keg? I realise I would be running the rick of infecting the beer but as the beer is cold and if I keep everything sanitary hopefully it will be alright.

Stupid me dry hopped in a keg with no hop bag

As soon as I trew the little buggers in the keg i thought something wasn't right....... :blink:
I guess stuff like this is bound to happen every now and then when you've had a few bevies and try to do something brew related.

I didn't throw much in, maybe 5-10g but still enough to clog the lines. When i tried to pour the first beer it completly clogged and I had to take the dip tube out and blow it with my air compressor to un-clog it. I put it back together and have got a couple of beer out of it but it pours slow and has a few floaties in it so I'm guessing its clogging up again.

So how do I fix it guys?

I was thinking of syphoning to another keg? I realise I would be running the rick of infecting the beer but as the beer is cold and if I keep everything sanitary hopefully it will be alright.
Guys like you are on this earth so kegnoobs like me don't make the same mistake! Thanks for sharing. :icon_cheers:
Hey, at least it's dryhopped now. Good luck with the outcome.

Yeah... I reckon a lot of brewers have made this mistake... I know I have.

I just connected a gas line to my Beer out post and blew a bit of CO2 to clear, then poured. My beer tasted hella grassy after they were in there for a while.

Didn't help I dry hopped with Saaz bleh...
Live and learn though I suppose!

Guys like you are on this earth so kegnoobs like me don't make the same mistake! Thanks for sharing. :icon_cheers:
Hey, at least it's dryhopped now. Good luck with the outcome.

I have heard of people cutting 2-3 cm off the bottom of the dip tube. That would hekp heaps. I was going to do it to mine when they're empty next.

I have heard of people cutting 2-3 cm off the bottom of the dip tube. That would hekp heaps. I was going to do it to mine when they're empty next.

Or you could just buy a hop bag from one of our sponsors. Also I like to dry hop in the keg with flowers in a hop bag = no hop crud in your beer. :icon_cheers:

Yeah I've been doing a bit more reading and think I might try and transfer it to another keg with a bit of swiss viole over the end of the tube. I realise its going to be a pain in the arse but at least that way it wont go grassy, have floaties and keep clogging the lines.

Any tips to stop it foaming up? I guess slow, steady and keep the tube at the bottom of the receiving keg?

BTW the beer tastes wicked :kooi:

Madness. Youll regret it.

Yeah I've been doing a bit more reading and think I might try and transfer it to another keg with a bit of swiss viole over the end of the tube. I realise its going to be a pain in the arse but at least that way it wont go grassy, have floaties and keep clogging the lines.

Any tips to stop it foaming up? I guess slow, steady and keep the tube at the bottom of the receiving keg?

BTW the beer tastes wicked :kooi:

This method looks easy enough

keg to keg transfer

I would tilt your keg on an angle so the hops settle away from the dip tube and then do a closed transfer to another keg

Don't use air to blow the hops out! Use CO2. Oxygen in a keg is not good, bubbling through the beer is even worse.

If you have a NRV on your gas line, pop the gas QD on the OUT post to clear it.

Don't use air to blow the hops out! Use CO2. Oxygen in a keg is not good, bubbling through the beer is even worse.

If you have a NRV on your gas line, pop the gas QD on the OUT post to clear it.

I pulled the tube out of the keg to clear the blockage with the compressor then sanitised it and put it back in.

Look I had the same problem once, dry hopping in the keg with pellet hops that were ground too fine for my hop bag. Needless to say a crap load of hop dust ended up in the bottom of my keg and clogged my tap, lines and eventually dip tube. After trying various ways of getting the hop crud out I eventually gave up and tipped most of it out. Looking back at it the only way I was going to get 'clear' beer was to put the keg back in the fridge, let the sludge settle to the bottom and siphon what good beer I could into another clean keg. Pushing the been through your dip tube as in the keg to keg transfer will not help, neither will filtering as you will destroy a filter cartridge and the beer is already carbed.

That's my 2c anyhow..... :wacko:

Don't cut your tube, you can reach into the keg and bend it sideways to get the same effect. Then if you want to put it back you can easily bend it back again.

I did this once. Once. I ended up dumping the batch. Was an absolute pain in the arse. Stockings or hop bags ever since.

could always use Dip tube screen for next time

I read his post wrong, thinking he'd blasted the dip tube while it was still in the keg, with air.

Since he's removed the dip tube already - your suggestion makes sense to install now to fix the problem!

Even wrapping it in a sanatised stocking would probably save this keg.

I did this once. Once. I ended up dumping the batch. Was an absolute pain in the arse. Stockings or hop bags ever since.

Yeah dont want to resort to dumping it yet cause it tastes so good.

I reckon I might try letting it sit on an angle for a hour or so then try the keg to keg transfer.
Failing that I'll get the old syphon out with some swiss viole over one end.

Needless to say lesson learned. :drinks:

Latest posts

Back