Stuffed Up, Too Much Hops.what To Do.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yum beer

Not in the house, you've got a shed..
Reaction score
Put down a porter on Tuesday and only just realised that I used twice as much hops as needed......was doing 2 half batches but used full amount of hops.
Original IBU was meant to be 40, now gonna be 80.
How bitter will this brew be, will it be too bitter or might it be drinkable?
What suggestions for fixing this screw up?

Recipe

Original Gravity (OG): 1.047 (P): 11.7
Final Gravity (FG): 1.012 (P): 3.1
Alcohol (ABV): 4.62 %
Colour (SRM): 27.2 (EBC): 53.6
Bitterness (IBU): 40.5 (Average - No Chill Adjusted)

55.74% Golden Promise Malt
19.67% Maris Otter Malt
8.2% Chocolate- absolute home brew
6.56% Caraamber
3.28% Carapils (Dextrine)
3.28% Flaked Oats
2.62% Special-B
0.66% Black Roasted Barley

0.5 g/L East Kent Golding (4.8% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
0.9 g/L Target (10% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
0.9 g/L East Kent Golding (4.8% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil)

From Tuesday to today you should have oodles of healthy, active yeast. I put down a brew on Tuesday and today I am adding some sucrose in a small amount of boiled water to get my gravity up without having given the yeast their 'junk food' to begin with...I took this into account when I designed the recipe.

In your case you can turn this into a big old ale, a strong stout or super robust porter. Redo the recipe (assuming you have some software of some sort) based on 80 IBU, shoot for an OG of 1.065-70 (higher if you really want to turn into an old ale or something that meets style guidelines), steep some crystal or do a mini mash (but include some crystal in there as it will help to counteract the bitterness), boil up the runnings with another kg or so of malt extract (I prefer dry) or maybe think about including some sugar that will add character like dark brown cooking sugar or demerara...hell even some treacle, golden syrup, whatever (I enjoy experimenting)...boil the lot up into another litre or two of water, add to the fermenter and be prepared to clean up potential krausen spills. You could skip the mini mash and just add more fermentables to increase the ABV, but steeping some crystal will certainly decrease the perceived effect of the 80 IBUs.

Or just leave it and drink it next winter, it will mellow out a bit. I'd be keen to try it as is personally haha.

Thing about Target is that it can give an astringent bitterness if used to excess. I'd also suggest doing a low IBU stout or porter and blend. Or keep it as a quaffing beer and blend in the glass with a pale ale for a "black and tan", mix with lager to give a "longboat" or even with cider for a poor man's "black velvet".

Used to do it all the time as a student :p

Use this beer as a base for another. A blend is probably the best option if you have a keg system because you can carbonate and store it cold away from oxygen. let"s just hope its not too bitter for you!!

Back