Stuffed Up The Hop Additions

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshF

Reaction score
hey guys,
Yesterday i put down my 2nd all grain (by myself this time), everything went super super well and i am (or was until now) pretty stoked with how the whole thing went.

Anyway, i was looking at alot of wheat style beers to make and ended up going with docs bavarian weizen recipe, scaled it down to 23L.

The thing is, i was looking at other recipes at the time comparing bits and pieces and can only assume i was looking at the additions of the wrong recipe on my screen. I was meant to use 28 grams of Hallertauer for 60 mins but i only used 19 grams. So now i'm worried about my beer tasting/smelling much weaker than expected.

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to fix this or have i just totally stuffed the batch?

cheers,
Josh

It won't be a stuffed batch, just a little less bitter than originally expected.

Weizens aren't overly bitter anyways so with 30% less bitterness, it may just come across a little sweet.

You could always add in some isohops if need be to increase bitterness after fermentation if its still too sweet.

hey guys,
Yesterday i put down my 2nd all grain (by myself this time), everything went super super well and i am (or was until now) pretty stoked with how the whole thing went.

Anyway, i was looking at alot of wheat style beers to make and ended up going with docs bavarian weizen recipe, scaled it down to 23L.

The thing is, i was looking at other recipes at the time comparing bits and pieces and can only assume i was looking at the additions of the wrong recipe on my screen. I was meant to use 28 grams of Hallertauer for 60 mins but i only used 19 grams. So now i'm worried about my beer tasting/smelling much weaker than expected.

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to fix this or have i just totally stuffed the batch?

cheers,
Josh

At a guess you won't notice a huge difference. What AA% was the Hallertauer addition? Say it was 4.0%, the difference is under 5IBU. If you have some hop oil/iso on hand throw some in to get the extra bitterness. What ever you do don't start throwing in more late hops to try and cover it up, it will stuff the beer.

QldKev

You should be fine, chances are you won't notice a difference. I would only play with ISO hops if you exactly know what you're doing, otherwise you could easily add too much which you will then definitely notice.

For wheat beers, not enough bitterness is better than too much, so leave it as it is.

Thanks guys,
the hops were 4.6% but the 30% difference between what i was supposed to use does sound like quite alot. Is there a calculator for muppets like me to work out how much hop oil to use? The last thing i want to do now is go from a sweeter beer to an undrinkable bitter bunch of crap :lol:

What where your calculated IBUs with your original 28g and now with your 19g?

you can use beersmith or any of those recipe calcs, just adjust the recipe and you'll see the difference.

If you think its too bad, then make up some wort (DME or the like) and boil it up with the hops for 60 minutes then add it to the fermenter.

IBU is meant to be 14.4 with 28 grams but only 8.4 with 19 grams of hops. Is that a noticeable difference?

IBU is meant to be 14.4 with 28 grams but only 8.4 with 19 grams of hops. Is that a noticeable difference?

when it's that low I'll probably be tempted to make 1lt of wort (100 g dme and 1 ltr water) at 1.040, add some hops and boil it for an hour, or adjust the hops to get the right ibu for a 15 to 30 min boil.

As you only put it down yesterday you could possably take a litre out of the fermenting and boil that up.

thanks mxd i'll give that a shot. Will i need to stir the wort around afterwards to get the hops to circulate or is that a no-go? Also i take it i dont want to aerate that 1 litre when i add it back to the fermenter?

thanks,
Josh

I'd be tempted to just let it ferment out as per usual without having to mess around with anything else without knowing how it's going to end up.

As Nick said, its still within the guidelines for the style.

Back