Stuffed Up Priming

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve@PMF82

Simplicity is perfection
Reaction score
Hey all

Just wondering if someone out there with the maths ability to help me work out how much i have under primed by?

4th AG brew, just a APA, priming my bottles using LDME - mixed with water to make into a solution.

This is the second time i have primed this way, got it right the first time - half asleep today :rolleyes:

I made up the TOTAL solution in water (120ml) , then added 91g of LDME.

Where as i was supposed to add water to LDME to make up to a TOTAL of 120ml priming solution.

I realised straight after i had finished bottling that i had too much left over..

So i used 5ml measure in each 330ml bottle of this 120ml water plus 91g of LDME solution
I cant tell you the total volume to start with as i was not aware at the time hence my errror.

Obviously they will not be carbed how they were supposed to be, i was aiming for 2.8 .
I tried to work out the math myself from estimated gravity, but my brain does not compute.

Thanks in advance anyone that can work it out.

Any chance of telling us the volume of the batch?

Beersmith is telling me that for 23L batch at 2.8vol you need 244g LDME.

I've not used a priming solution before, when I started reading I thought you'd done the solution ready for a bottling bucket and bulk prime rather than adding it to each bottle individually. When bottling I used one of those priming measures with dextrose
sugar_measure.jpg

For my own benefit - why are you using malt for priming, find that your beer isn't sweet enough at the end of ferment?

Its the pseudo bulk priming method.

Batch was 7L

Amount of solution made was to prime 24 X 330ml bottles @ 11.5g (LDME) per L (120ml total including the 91g LDME)

So total volume its made to prime up was for 7.92L - using 5ml per bottle ( i make a little extra for ease of use)

I only do small batches and i like this method of priming, but not when i stuff it up. The beer will still be ok, just a bit flat

Its prob impossible to work it out? was just wondering if anyone had the maths to do it

Thanks again

edit = My ferment ended up pretty low gravity have always used dex , so thought i would try LDME for a change - prob what brought me undone as i was thinking of this and not concentrating on completing the task at hand correctly

Ok well for 7L batch at 2.8vol beersmith says 75g LDME (if the ferment temp was 18c, higher if temp was higher). 91g LDME would produce 3.2vol so you might find it's not as undercarbed as you believe

For simplicity, 120ml + 91g LDME say it's 210ml vol. In 24 stubbies that's just under 9ml each, if you did 5ml, then maybe you'll get around 1.8vol. Of course take this with a grain of malt and could be wrong

Thanks CD

edit = you put my thinking on the right track!

i made up the solution again the same way = measured it to be 190ml so divide by 5ml dose = 38 doses (bottles)

So using the priming spreadsheet and the calculator on Beersmith, working backwards i found that my solution ended up 7.3g LDME per litre

Which @ 20C = between 2.1 and 2.2 volumes

So IF thats a big IF i can be bothered i can open and recap each bottle adding some more of the priming solution i made up.
Which would be 1/4 tsp measure each, roughly giving another .5 volumes .

Way to make something simple really hard eh...

Latest posts

Back