Stuffed Dishwasher. Is The Pump Useful For Ag?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrentonSpear

Reaction score
Our dishwasher was not working too well and the other day it wouldnt stop pumping water out of it. I am guessing a reed switch has gone bad. Anyway we replaced it with a nice ASKO unit.

It got me thinking about the pump inside it. Is this any use for AG brewing setups?

Does anyone has an answer for this? I'm interested too.

Possibly yes, possibly no. Some people report success using these pumps, at least for a while. It really depends on what you have in mind for using the pump for?

Just pushing hot water up to a mash tun at <80C, will probably be right, but pumping your wort at 100C to a chiller, or pumping your chilled wort from kettle to fermenter and you may find problems. They aren't a sanitary pump by any stretch of the imagination, but then the commonly used March pump doesn't fit the sanitary bill either.

Really your call. Search home brewery site and pump and you'll find a few people using them. Most ended upgrading to a march pump anyway because the washing machine/dishwasher pump died, usually due to heat.

Cheers, justin

I looked into this at the local appliance parts place. They said that it would probably work but most pumps are only rated to about 80C. They did have a universal pump there which was magnetically coupled for $68 inc GST (trade), I will look up the details at home tonight.

The other important piece of operation is that the pumps are not rated for continuous use, most have no fans or cooling fins on the motor itself so they are really only rated for intermittent use. Its continued operation which kills them more than the heta of the fluid.

Back