Study: Heavy Social Drinkers Show Brain Damage

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doc

Doctor's Orders Brewing
Reaction score
Study: Heavy social drinkers show brain damage

From CNN here

Wednesday, April 14, 2004 Posted: 4:03 PM EDT (2003 GMT)

WASHINGTON (Reuters) -- Heavy social drinkers show the same pattern of brain damage as hospitalized alcoholics -- enough to impair day-to-day functioning, U.S. researchers said Wednesday.
Brain scans show clear damage, and tests of reading, balance and other function show people who drink more than 100 drinks a month have some problems, the researchers said.
"Socially functioning heavy drinkers often do not recognize that their level of drinking constitutes a problem that warrants treatment," the researchers, at Vanderbilt University in Tennessee and the University of California San Francisco, wrote in their report.
"The enrollment criterion for heavy drinkers was the consumption of more than an average of 100 alcoholic drinks per month for men over 3 years before the study (80 drinks for women)," they wrote in the report, published in the journal Alcoholism: Clinical & Experimental Research.
One drink is usually defined as a serving of spirits, a glass of wine or a can or bottle of beer.
Dieter Meyerhoff of UCSF and Dr. Peter Martin of Vanderbilt examined 46 chronic, heavy drinkers and 52 light drinkers recruited using newspaper ads and flyers.
They used magnetic resonance imaging to look at physical brain structures and also measured various brain chemicals associated with healthy brain function.
Standard tests of verbal intelligence, processing speed, balance, working memory, spatial function, executive function, and learning and memory were given to the volunteers.
"Our heavy drinkers sample was significantly impaired on measures of working memory, processing speed, attention, executive function, and balance," the researchers wrote.
Heavy drinking damages your brain ever so slightly, reducing your cognitive functioning in ways that may not be readily noticeable. To be safe, don't overdo it.
Measures of brain chemicals and structures showed some of the same damage seen in alcoholics who are in the hospital or treatment centers, they said.
The study is unusual in that most studies of brain damage from alcohol are done in people who have undergone treatment.
"What our findings indicate is that brain damage is detectable in heavy drinkers who are not in treatment and function relatively well in the community," Meyerhoff said in a statement.
Martin and Meyerhoff said the study showed evidence of brain impairment, even if the drinkers cannot see it themselves.
"Our message is: Drink in moderation. Heavy drinking damages your brain ever so slightly, reducing your cognitive functioning in ways that may not be readily noticeable. To be safe, don't overdo it."
Meyerhoff said that for most adults, moderate alcohol use translates to up to two drinks per day for younger men, and one drink per day for women and older people.

Thank goodness for that i am not in the category of heavy social drinkers cos i only drink 99 beers a month....:D

cheers and beers ozdevil

did the sums....im cactus
probably brain dead but hey..ya only live once.
should i reduce my consumption????????
HELL NO ;)
think i will have another pint and vent my spleen. :D

cheers in over consumption and fun times
big d :chug:

i just did some calcs too.
iam well and truelly brain damaged.
on a good month the intake is closer to 100 litres than 100 drinks.

the brain damage come out last nite. in a very intoxicated state i shaved my head and my 15 years of long metal head hair is now all gone and i look like a wierdo.
oh well too late now.

i was looking at the average intake for the big beer drinking countries is 150 odd litres a year each.
if my calcs are correct at around 800 litres of beer consumed by myself last year my intake is just a little excessive.
i guess iam making up the numbers for the non beer drinkers.

a short story the guru told on his radio show is the brain is only as fast as the slowest cells. so givin these cells are the first to die given abuse than killing them off is actaully making your brain work faster.
just a thought.

jayse

extreme shaving..jayse
or should we now call you uncle fester :D

i do look about 90 years old now.
oh well i can't be any uglier than i was before.

jayse

i'm in the same boat
1 carton a week = 96 drinks per month ??
im screwed

as for the metal hair look to bald
theres nothing wrong with that jayse.
i went from hair half way down my back to shiny bald in 20mins

cheers
crackers

The crap the Yanks drink i'm not surprised

i think the problem with that study was that "mental fitness" was being over-emphasized. It would only make sense that my physical fitness would match my mental fitness (ie i can only move as fast as i can think), and after drinking more than 100 beers per month, i don't move as fast as i used to... so why do i need to think as quick?

I'm f*cked, I generally do 100 drinks in less than a week....... (for the past ten years)

me lose brain?? oh oh...

100 beers a month, on average thats only like 3.3 drinks a day, and if thats a "standard" drink, we all be f*cked cause my brews(and most other brewers im sure) sure as hell are over one standard drink each per pint.

so kick back, drink up, and wait for the numbness that only a depressant can give.

[homer] Ahhhhh! I hope I didn't brain my damage [/homer]

I wouldn't worry about it. Its probably one of those studies where you can't tell what the cause and effect is.

Lets face it, we're probably all pretty screwed, brew all day then drink and post on a.h.b at night.

sosman said:
I wouldn't worry about it. Its probably one of those studies where you can't tell what the cause and effect is.

Lets face it, we're probably all pretty screwed, brew all day then drink and post on a.h.b at night.
Hang on *opens cutains*... yep it's dark outside.

pr1me,

thats a quote waiting to happen!

"so kick back, drink up, and wait for the numbness that only a depressant can give."

Back