Stuck Lid

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hockadays

Reaction score
Hi folks,

Just transfered to a secondary and the lid on my primary fermenter is stuck on good. Have tried using two people, hot water but it's still stuck on ...Any ideas to remove it..
It's the clear lid 30L plastic type

Matt

Its amazing how tight those suckers can get...

I get a length of wood (about 1200 long), lay it across the top of the lid between the upturned ridges (located at each quarter of the lid IIRC) and use leverage provided by the length of wood to unscrew.

I also usually have to use my foot againt the tap to stop the fermenter from turning.

You can try what i have done in those instances and use a screwdriver very carely to pry it off. Very carefully though or you'll break it. If you do break it don't blame me though, use this addvice at own risk. :unsure:
Iam amazed two people and hot water couldn't get it off though.

Jayse

I new if I made a post I would get it..
For info it was the two hand and two leg technique..

I have a fermenter that does this every time. So frustrating - especially as you get tired and your hands get sore, it only gets harder.

I use Jayse's screwdriver technique, except I don't actually pry it all teh way off, I just loosen the connection a bit. Even if you get a couple of drips of wort on the thread it can stick like glue.

I actually contemplated making an effective "spanner" for the lid. That is, cut a hole in some ply wood and then make some small indents around the perimeter so it fits onto the grip of the lid. Similar theory to Goat's wood trick. Never got around to doing it, nor do I expect I ever will. Its only one fermenter that does it every time, the others are fine. I only use that fermenter if I absolutely have to.

Does anybody lubricate the large o-ring?
Some sort of foodgrade or silicon grease before tightening would fix it up.
Mentioned in another thread a few weeks back? :chug:

I prefer the pail (bucket) type ones but the sealing groove can be hard to clean.

I use two of those sticky anti slip cloths, like the ones for getting the lid off jars. And the armstrong method.

Matt.

If it's a ridged lid similar to this (as demonstrated on my ex-fermenter now sanitizing bucket);

dsc007491nn.jpg

Grab a coal chisel (if you've got one handy) and just put the chisel against the ridge and give it a couple of light/medium taps with a hammer. Balance the fermenter between your knees or get somebody to hold it.

Be careful :excl: and it will usually break the seal (usually caused by dried sugars). Just try and bear in mind next time that these lids don't really need to be done up overly-tight. :beerbang:

Warren -

Use a leather belt

wrap it round the lid and pull it to you , similar to when you tighten the belt on your pants

Rod said:
Use a leather belt

wrap it round the lid and pull it to you , similar to when you tighten the belt on your pants
[post="92717"][/post]​

But what's going to hold up my pants while I do this? It could be a very embarassing situation ....... pants around my ankles and fermenter between my legs. Not sure if this methods for me, maybe for you younger blokes this sort of things all the rage.

Cheers
MAH

MAH said:
But what's going to hold up my pants while I do this? It could be a very embarassing situation ....... pants around my ankles and fermenter between my legs. Not sure if this methods for me, maybe for you younger blokes this sort of things all the rage.

I find that several spare fermenter o-rings joined together and tied around my waist can hold up my pants long enough to undo the fermenter lid.

I was once told by a wise homebrew shop owner that a smear of vaseline helps to stop things getting too tight. Presumably he was talking about the fermenter lid.

I'd prefer to use something water-based, such as KY jelly.

On the fermenter o-ring.

Not on my pants or anything.

Thanks again guys,,

So many different methods to try next time..

matt

MAH said:
Rod said:
Use a leather belt

[post="92717"][/post]​

Cheers
MAH
[post="92731"][/post]​

Careful you dont get a yeast infection ;) :lol: :lol:

T.D. said:
I actually contemplated making an effective "spanner" for the lid. That is, cut a hole in some ply wood and then make some small indents around the perimeter so it fits onto the grip of the lid.
[post="92696"][/post]​

I've seen something very similar in homebrew stores. They have the spanner/cog part with a long wooden handle for leverage.

edit:sp

Goat said:
Its amazing how tight those suckers can get...

I get a length of wood (about 1200 long), lay it across the top of the lid between the upturned ridges (located at each quarter of the lid IIRC) and use leverage provided by the length of wood to unscrew.

I also usually have to use my foot againt the tap to stop the fermenter from turning.
[post="92690"][/post]​

I've used that method before successfully. Until the time it broke the raised ridge off and almost smashed my kneecap :(

Doc

After a few stuck lids I just leave mine loose on top of the fermenter know. No more broken wrists. It is all well and good to put lubricant on the o-ring but this just encourages you to do it up even tighter.

On two occassions I have had to resort to a heat gun (gently) and after getting the whole thread quite warm maybe 5 minutes I was able to get it off (the lid that is).

Latest posts

Back