Stuck Fermentations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brassjc

Reaction score
Hi guys, I’m new to BIAB and have recently brewed 2 different all grain simple ale BIAB recipes and both have got stuck on 1025 (OG1055). Mash temps were 68c, US05 yeast was fresh, not under pitched (two packets per 20L batch), and pitched the next day (no chill) at 20c, fermentation temp 18-20c. Tested with hygrometer and refractometer each time.

Brew A- Sierra Pale Ale 17 Oct
Brew B- American Amber Ale 24 Oct

Brew A- I have tried rousing the yeast and adding yeast nutrient, and putting a brew belt. Still 1025

Brew B- I have tried rousing the yeast and adding yeast nutrient. Still 1025

Tomorrow I’ll head to Brewmart and buy more yeast and repitch, but it seems odd to have two different brew days get stuck exactly the same. The only thing I can think of is mash temp was higher than thermometer and there are only unfermentable sugars left, which doesn’t seem right as strike water was 71c for 68c mash.

Thoughts?

I agree that it sounds like a mash temp issue. Could your thermometer be out?

Don't know how you use a hygrometer in brewing? If it is a hydrometer you are using, I don't see how you can get an identical reading to your refractometer after fermentation.

If you are using your refractometer to measure your post fermentation gravity, you need to use an adjustment chart, such as this one, because the alcohol level skews your reading.

Refractometer_Calculations___70_30_b.jpg

Sorry hydrometer, typo. But holy sheet I didn’t know post fermentation had skewed results. Retesting with hydrometer now!!!

@warra48 you were right! I have been using the refractometer and getting skewed results. They are both 1010 by hydrometer. And now I feel like a stupid head (but also relieved!)

For future reference...

If in doubt, taste it. If it tastes right, chill it, keg it, carb it and get drinking.

Back