Stubbies

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bretto

Reaction score
Hi Brewers
Just want to hear from anyone who brews into stubbies Not long necks .
just want to find weigh up the Pros and cons.

I don't use stubbies but the main con I could see is filling so many bottles. I hated filling 24 tallies let alone 48 stubbies.

This is the main reason I moved into kegging as soon as I could...

I use crown stubbies. After the initial clean there is no problems if you rinse them after each pour, but as slugger said you gotta fill and cap twice as many. That's not such a big deal for me, I just attach my bottling wand to the end of the racking tube and away I go.

I've got a couple of kegs on order but until all the planets are in alignment will probably just use them for parties.

The main reasons I chose stubbies were that I have a good supply and more importantly they fit under the spare bed!.

Cheers, Nick

Nice one nick.
But what about sediment ?
do you wast much from that

Hi.
I've made 17 brews now, and have only used 375ml screw tops and 330ml crown top stubbies. It's a battle to wash and fill them, but if you can streamline the operation, it aint so bad.

For a 23 lt brew you need 60x375ml or 70x330ml. I've made some crates from old pine pallets that hold 30x375ml and some that hold 35x330ml. When I wash, I just put the 2 crates beside the laundry sink, and fill them from the sink 2 at a time with diluted white king in warm water, sit them back in the crate, and when they're all full, let them sit for half an hour, before I rinse and drain in a bread crate (upside down).

I now fill them without taking them out of their crates. I cut a 2" piece off a filler tube, which connects the fermenter tap to a piece of racking hose, and put the filler tube with valve on the other end. The first 6 or 7 get a bit excited and froth up a bit. Just half fill and come back to them.

Hoping to be able to afford kegs soon too. A mate said he's got 2 fridges in his garage, and I can come and take my pick. He's also got one without a freezer compartment, but he's keeping that.

Currently I'm saving some 800ml screw tops and some 500ml Kozel style bottles

Once you've refined your brewing technique a little, you'll only have a small amount of sediment in your stubbie. If that's one of your cons then eliminate it, it's not a problem.

A careful pour and you'll have no sediment in your glass, this is usually just to impress visitors anyway, I don't actually care about a bit of cloudiness in my beer.

Cheers, Nick

yea im trying to save what i can to pour my first batch this weekend. ive got old long neck bottles, stubbies , plastick 1.25 ltr botts , even got two old burbon botts

I always had a far greater supply of stubbies available when I first started collecting bottles, so stubbies it was, and stubbies it remains.
I clean as I go. I rinse with water and steriliser when I've finished a few, and have a whole pile of plastic bottle caps which go on afterward and and keep them clean until bottling day. No rinse sterilisers make it a breeze.
And besides, one stubbie pours perfectly into my favourite drinking glass.

yea thats pretty good.
after you cleand your bottles do you leave them full of water untill refilling day comes around again

I normally mix the brew between 330ml crown seals, 500ml crown seals and 750 crown seals with often a couple of twist top 375s and 750s that I wont miss if I give them away and dont get them back.
As I dont drink all that much and like variety the 330s and the 500s are my preference. Tallies are good for when youve got mates overThey are a bit more washing but I basically do an initial wash and then only rinse after use and sanitise rinse before filling again. They also fit in the sole household fridge a little easier which is handy.
As previously noted, sediment is no real issue as most of my beers throw next to none after conditioning.

Cheers

Borret

bretto said:
Hi Brewers
Just want to hear from anyone who brews into stubbies Not long necks .
just want to find weigh up the Pros and cons.
[post="64704"][/post]​

I only bottle into stubbies. For me the big advantage is that I can have a couple of diferent types of beer in one night without getting too wasted. Variety is the spice of life they say. I can also have a beer on a school night and not sleep in the next morning...

bretto Posted Today, 01:44 AM
yea thats pretty good.
after you cleand your bottles do you leave them full of water untill refilling day comes around again

bretto,
I never leave them with water in them. Rinse with water, then steriliser. Sometimes I leave about 1cm of steriliser in them. Sometimes I just rinse with steriliser and pour it pretty much straight out. Then on with the plastic caps.
I keep an old fermenter full of sterilising solution which makes it even easier to add steriliser 'cos it's all ready and waiting.

On the subject of sediment, I rack at least once and CC most brews which means they pour brilliantly clear.

I bottle into longnecks but always fill 4 - 6 clear/green stubbies from each batch.
I crack 1 stubby every week or so until I'm happy with the result.
No point wasting a whole longneck just for checking.
The clear bottles let you see whats going on re cloudiness. Just make sure you store them in the dark.

I used 1.25 & 2l PET softdrink bottles for a few years when starting out without dramas. I've heard oxygen can permeate into the brew and cause problems after a few months but I never noticed. Probably improved the kits flavour anyway ;)

Ignorant Victorian baffled by nomenclature here.

What's a Tallie (sp?) :huh: Does it come in wide-screen and plasma?

Being a pint drinker I used to fill all 500ml bottles. Used Czech or Hansa Pils bottles were good for this.

Another advantage was having all the bottles at the same height made it easier to stack them in the warming/conditioning cupboard for carbonating.

Warren -

Tallie - Longneck - 750ml Bottle...

Bloody Mexican :lol:

Shawn.

warrenlw63 said:
Another advantage was having all the bottles at the same height made it easier to stack them in the warming/conditioning cupboard for carbonating.

Warren -
[post="64760"][/post]​

Saves adjusting the height of the capper also

The long and the short of it is this

Stubbie v's stubby.

ciao

Borret

warrenlw63 said:
Being a pint drinker I used to fill all 500ml bottles. Used Czech or Hansa Pils bottles were good for this.

I much prefer the NRW 500ml bottle to the hansa pils etc style one. About twice as heavy and much nicer shape. Trouble is they normally hold more expensive beer in the first place which makes them harder to come by. :angry:

Borret :blink:

Back