Strongest ABV% commercial Aussie beer ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also believe that Grand Ridge Supershine recently took out the word title in it's category. Mighty tasty too I got a sample as the Good Food & Wine Festival :)

DJ_L3ThAL said:
I also believe that Grand Ridge Supershine recently took out the word title in it's category. Mighty tasty too I got a sample as the Good Food & Wine Festival :)
Thx DJ...
In its category or the biggest beer in Australia ?
I would like to drink the biggest offering and compare to other examples.
Nev

In the barleywine category - not for being strongest, sorry was just making a side comment.

DJ_L3ThAL said:
In the barleywine category - not for being strongest, sorry was just making a side comment.
Either way thanks for the input, barley wine is one of the styles I like to brew.
My quest is to see who does the the ass kicker commercial Aussie beer.
Feck if we are stuck at the sub 16% we don't rate globally .
Nev

Haha true, but is it about highest ABV%, it could taste like a chemical lab and be 20%, or it could taste nice like plum pudding and cherries and be 15%. I know which I'd prefer!! Definitely rate the Grand Ridge for you to try even if it ain't the highest :)

DJ_L3ThAL said:
Haha true, but is it about highest ABV%, it could taste like a chemical lab and be 20%, or it could taste nice like plum pudding and cherries and be 15%. I know which I'd prefer!! Definitely rate the Grand Ridge for you to try even if it ain't the highest :)
Point taken , I have tasted GR super shine at the brewery .

Online Brewing Supplies said:
Thx DJ...
In its category or the biggest beer in Australia ?
I would like to drink the biggest offering and compare to other examples.
Nev
is this since not drinking on week days and having to make up for it on the weekend?

danestead said:
is this since not drinking on week days and having to make up for it on the weekend?
No , I tasted some big beers that have been very smooth and lesser beers that have tasted boozy.
I would like to make a big beer so some taste testing is required.
Nev

Strongest mainstream conglomerate readily avaliable beer would be Southwark Stout

I know it is not Australian but i nearly fell of my bar stool when i spotted this bad boy on the beer menu at the local pub i would love to try it but at $260 a stubbie i don't know if it will be anytime soon.

Sink The Bismark.jpg

I drank something on tap at The Alehouse in Melbourne a while back, it was around the 16% mark, but can't remember who made it.
Tasted shit and I didn't finish it. Not a patch on the Temple barley wine I was drinking prior.

I know this is not up in the HIGH alc list, but had a taste a little while ago and thought it was great. Bit over-priced for my mind though: https://www.danmurphys.com.au/product/DM_757736/nail-clout-stout-russian-imperial-stout-750ml

Good luck with the tasting, sounds like a tough gig :D

surly
Does Temple do Barley wine in a Bottle, if so I will try and get one ?
Had a customer give me a bottle of his Old Ale , OMG it was great :wub: trying to get the recipe from him .
Nev

Online Brewing Supplies said:
surly
Does Temple do Barley wine in a Bottle, if so I will try and get one ?
Had a customer give me a bottle of his Old Ale , OMG it was great :wub: trying to get the recipe from him .
Nev
Sorry Nev, I have no idea. Might be worth contacting them.
I was drinking it on tap at the brewery. This was before they closed, then re-opened.

Motabika said:
Moondog jumping the shark is 15.4% abv
DJ_L3ThAL said:
it could taste like a chemical lab
Combine that with the taste of feet and the aroma of sick and you've got a Moondog beer.

Nev, I asked the craft beer enthusiasts group on Facebook and Jumping The Shark is the biggest one thats been bottled that we've come up with.

There are a few noteble mentions around the 10-11% range including Auora Australis which is brewed here and shipped to Norway in red wine barrels to be bottled. It's amazing.

Haha. That's the one I brought around ages ago. The cognac barrel aged truffled RIS. I've got one left under the stairs...

Back