Strong Smelling Wort

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I done a brew the other day and at the end of the boil the Wort had a very strong sweetish odour about it, I wasn't to worried I did the hot cube and when I transferred in to the fermented the odour was still there but not quite as strong, it has been working away now for 4 days the odour has got weaker but is still there.
My grain bill was new and a bit of an experiment as I hadn't used 2 of them before:
3.75kg of Ale Malt
300g of Munich
200g of aromatic

The grains didn't have a bad taste to them when I tried them, the Wort was pretty sweet tasting at the end quite pleasant actually

Last edited:
As I haven't used Munich or Aromatic before Im just wondering if it should have an unusual odour or maybe I might have used to much of one or the other. All my other brews were pretty neutral smelling but this one is very strong

Well both Munich and Aromatic would increase the malty aroma and flavour over and above base malts.
Perhaps this is what you are experiencing?

Well both Munich and Aromatic would increase the malty aroma and flavour over and above base malts.
Perhaps this is what you are experiencing?
Thank You, yep Im only on All Grain 6 and these are both new malts to me, I thought it would increase the maltiness but didn't expect the sweetness. It's a very distinct flavour so far. I was thinking maybe a bit heavy on the aromatic malt but its about experimenting. Also first time using the Malts from House of Malt.

Thank You, yep Im only on All Grain 6 and these are both new malts to me, I thought it would increase the maltiness but didn't expect the sweetness. It's a very distinct flavour so far. I was thinking maybe a bit heavy on the aromatic malt but its about experimenting. Also first time using the Malts from House of Malt.
No expert myself, never used both aromatic and munich in the same brew.
Hopefully the yeast will chew away that sweetness and leave you a lovely malty beer :)

Back