Strong Resin Taste

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rowy

Drinker of Kegs, Slayer of Fish & Ruiner of Good F
Reaction score
I put together a Cream Ale and used Mt Hood Hops. It has been 3 weeks in the bottle and it has a strong resin taste. Recipe below.

Keen to know what this may be. Not sure if I like it or not. <_<

Rowys Cream Ale (Cream Ale)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.043 (P): 10.7
Final Gravity (FG): 1.011 (P): 2.8
Alcohol (ABV): 4.22 %
Colour (SRM): 4.9 (EBC): 9.7
Bitterness (IBU): 27.0 (Average)

40% Maris Otter Malt
40% Pilsner
20% Flaked Corn

1.8 g/L Mt. Hood (3.2% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
1.8 g/L Mt. Hood (3.2% Alpha) @ 20 Minutes (Boil)
0.5 g/L Mt. Hood (3.2% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil)
0.5 g/L Mt. Hood (3.2% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil)
0.5 g/L Mt. Hood (3.2% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil)
0.5 g/L Mt. Hood (3.2% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil)

0.0 g/L Whirlfloc Tablet @ 10 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 67C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 18C with Safale US-05

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

I put together a Cream Ale and used Mt Hood Hops. It has been 3 weeks in the bottle and it has a strong resin taste. Recipe below.

Keen to know what this may be. Not sure if I like it or not. <_<

Rowys Cream Ale (Cream Ale)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.043 (P): 10.7
Final Gravity (FG): 1.011 (P): 2.8
Alcohol (ABV): 4.22 %
Colour (SRM): 4.9 (EBC): 9.7
Bitterness (IBU): 27.0 (Average)

40% Maris Otter Malt
40% Pilsner
20% Flaked Corn

1.8 g/L Mt. Hood (3.2% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
1.8 g/L Mt. Hood (3.2% Alpha) @ 20 Minutes (Boil)
0.5 g/L Mt. Hood (3.2% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil)
0.5 g/L Mt. Hood (3.2% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil)
0.5 g/L Mt. Hood (3.2% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil)
0.5 g/L Mt. Hood (3.2% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil)

0.0 g/L Whirlfloc Tablet @ 10 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 67C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 18C with Safale US-05

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

ummmmmmmmm, let me see

hop additions at 60, 20, 15, 10, 5 and flame out and then you ask what the resin taste is ?

ummmmmmmmm, let me see

hop additions at 60, 20, 15, 10, 5 and flame out and then you ask what the resin taste is ?

First time I tried it as I was told small hop additions over those periods worked well and made for a more complex flavour. Only a noob and was giving it a go. So I'm still none the wiser. What has occurred?

Rowy,

I usually do a cream ale with a 90min addition, then a small addition somewhere around 30 mins, sometimes a very small flameout addition. The style itself is more like a Lager with a corny flavour/aroma. Hops really shouldn't dominate...

Was the recipe your own or someone else's?

Here's my regular Cream Ale...

Recipe: Cream Ale 2
Style: 6A-Light Hybrid Beer-Cream Ale

Recipe Overview

Wort Volume Before Boil: 33.00 l
Wort Volume After Boil: 22.00 l
Final Batch Volume: 20.00 l
Expected Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.033 SG
Expected OG: 1.049 SG
Expected FG: 1.012 SG
Expected ABV: 4.9 %
Expected IBU (using Tinseth): 17.8
Expected Color: 6.8 EBC
Apparent Attenuation: 74.9 %
Mash Efficiency: 75.0 %
Boil Duration: 90.0 mins
Fermentation Temperature: 18 degC

Fermentables
Australian BB Pale 4.000 kg (80.0 %) In Mash/Steeped
US Flaked Corn/Maize 1.000 kg (20.0 %) In Mash/Steeped

Hops
German Northern Brewer (9.6 % alpha) 10 g Loose Pellet Hops used 60 Min From End
US Willamette (4.9 % alpha) 15 g Loose Pellet Hops used 15 Min From End
US Willamette (4.9 % alpha) 20 g Loose Pellet Hops used At turn off

Other Ingredients
5.2 PH Stabiliser 5 g used In Mash
Gypsum 3 g used In Boil
Koppafloc 1 g used In Boil

Yeast: Wyeast 1056-American Ale

Mash Schedule
Mash Type: Full Mash
Schedule Name:Single Step Infusion (66C/151F) w/Mash Out
Step: Rest at 66 degC for 60 mins
Step: Raise to and Mash out at 77 degC for 10 mins

Cheers

First time I tried it as I was told small hop additions over those periods worked well and made for a more complex flavour. Only a noob and was giving it a go. So I'm still none the wiser. What has occurred?

you've added a fair bit of late hops to a lawnmower beer, and your beer is now dominated by the hops

if you dont like it as it is, age it a little and the hop profile should fade

Thanks Nick. It's one off the Recipe DB but with my hop changes. (Read F#@K UP).

Don I'll let it age and see how it goes.

Thanks for the advice fellas.

Might have been me told you that.

To clarify - that's with beers that rely on big, bold upfront hop flavour like APA or IPA.

Cream ale is not one of those type of beers and is a lot more delicate.

Sorry if I led you astray.

You have used a resinous hop in frequent late additions in a delicate beer. That's why the beer is too resiny.

Hop burst things that are meant to be super hoppy with lots of lovely american c-hops or lots of lovely styrians and kent goldings (depending on whether English or American hoppy ale).

Keep things like cream ales, kolsch, pilsner, etc much more simple.

Might have been me told you that.

To clarify - that's with beers that rely on big, bold upfront hop flavour like APA or IPA.

Cream ale is not one of those type of beers and is a lot more delicate.

Sorry if I led you astray.

You have used a resinous hop in frequent late additions in a delicate beer. That's why the beer is too resiny.

Hop burst things that are meant to be super hoppy with lots of lovely american c-hops or lots of lovely styrians and kent goldings (depending on whether English or American hoppy ale).

Keep things like cream ales, kolsch, pilsner, etc much more simple.

My fault Manticle should have asked more questions. I'll let it age for a while and see how it goes. The good news for me is I've done it with my last two APA's so 2 out of 3 ain't bad. :lol:

A cream ale is a tightrope between light malty flavours, restrained bitterness and a touch of hop flavour. not an easy beer to make.

A cream ale is a tightrope between light malty flavours, restrained bitterness and a touch of hop flavour. not an easy beer to make.

The only thing I nailed was the colour and clarity. Such is the road to the perfect beer.

Mt Hood hops are generally labeled in the 5-6% alpha range. 3.2% sounds more like its sister Liberty.

My take on Mt Hood: I wish I could get a reliable supply in Australia (any suggestions?). I've had quite a few US and Brit ales made from it and loved all of them. I do have a batch working right now but the hops came from deep in a freezer at a provincial brew shop. How long the packet lay there I do not know.

Coneston (Brit) makes its Bluebird Bitter in two versions: one with Challenger and one with Mt Hood. Some friends of mine and I once did a blind tasting and everyone preferred the Mt Hood version.

It does have Hallertau as a parent, but the flavor and aroma are distinct from Hallertau or Hersbrucker. Liberty is closer to the parent, according to some brewers who have used both.

So I'm puzzled that a number of reference sources recommend Mt Hood only for lagers and as a Hallertau substitute. I think a very promising hop is being missed by many home brewers and brew shops as a result.

Mt Hood hops are generally labeled in the 5-6% alpha range. 3.2% sounds more like its sister Liberty.

My take on Mt Hood: I wish I could get a reliable supply in Australia (any suggestions?). I've had quite a few US and Brit ales made from it and loved all of them. I do have a batch working right now but the hops came from deep in a freezer at a provincial brew shop. How long the packet lay there I do not know.

Coneston (Brit) makes its Bluebird Bitter in two versions: one with Challenger and one with Mt Hood. Some friends of mine and I once did a blind tasting and everyone preferred the Mt Hood version.

It does have Hallertau as a parent, but the flavor and aroma are distinct from Hallertau or Hersbrucker. Liberty is closer to the parent, according to some brewers who have used both.

So I'm puzzled that a number of reference sources recommend Mt Hood only for lagers and as a Hallertau substitute. I think a very promising hop is being missed by many home brewers and brew shops as a result.

None in Oz ..... the Niko Homebrew site for Mt Hood Hops is the best and cheapest that I have seen

5 eyes

Back