Strong Belgians And Carbonation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLB

Reaction score
hi all

I recently made a strong dark belgian @ 1.082 that i had primaried for 2 weeks and bottled (dont have the right size fermentor for secondary yet) FG was 1.014 ,carbed with a little over 5 oz of dextrose and its just doesnt have the right carbonation,i know from reading certain books(belgian ale pierre rajotte) that fresh yeast is in order to get the right carbonation im thinking that by the time the yeast is finished with the wort it doesnt have the strength to carb nicely,its not that it is under carbed its just not lively and sparkly, if that makes sense, same thing happened to a saison i brewed months ago .

Has anyone had the same problems with bottle carbing high gravity brews.
cheers
:beer:

JLB said:
hi all

I recently made a strong dark belgian @ 1.082 that i had primaried for 2 weeks and bottled (dont have the right size fermentor for secondary yet) FG was 1.014 ,carbed with a little over 5 oz of dextrose and its just doesnt have the right carbonation,i know from reading certain books(belgian ale pierre rajotte) that fresh yeast is in order to get the right carbonation im thinking that by the time the yeast is finished with the wort it doesnt have the strength to carb nicely,its not that it is under carbed its just not lively and sparkly, if that makes sense, same thing happened to a saison i brewed months ago .

Has anyone had the same problems with bottle carbing high gravity brews.
cheers
:beer:
[post="73117"][/post]​

in my experience the strong ones will always carb up eventually but they need months. i bottled a 12% barleywine three months ago and didnt prime it, and it's only just now gettingto the right level. belgians do need extra carb than barleywines but even with strong ones of those, they do struggle for the first few months even with ample priming, but give em 6 months and theyre invariably fizzing all over the place. belgian yeasts (especially saison) will keep eating through the beer for ages so i would advise PATIENCE which is of course easy to say but hard to do.
best method is making more beer than you can possibly drink that way things are forced to age!

Back