Strong Ale (sg- 1100)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scotty

Reaction score
I recieved a bag of 25kg bag of dextrose a while back and decided to make a high alcoholic beer. This is what i have done:

- 2x Cans of Coopers Real Ale
- 3kg of Dextrose
- Wine Yeast

Then topped it up to 23 litres. Has anyone tried to make this before? Any comments?

looks like you are heading into barleywine territory with that OG. ive done a coopers real ale before which turned out pretty nice. just a normal one can brew. ive never used wine yeast before so not sure how that will turn out for you. let us know what you end up with for FG, and how it tastes.
joe

I hope you don't meant by "Wine Yeast" ie Champagne Yeast. It'll dry the beer right out, and make it taste crap.

Wine yeast are similar yet different, and in most cases out of place when it comes to making beers. Give it a shot though, and tell us what happens.

According to promash it will roughly give an OG of 1097. Whilst you could do it, i might suggest that it will be way out of balance. To much dextrose, and not enough hops to balance it out. Just a suggestion, but you may be disappointed with the results.

Will

Hope you have got a still! I suspect that is all the beer will be good for.
You would need some malt and hops to balance a beer of that gravity.
Will probably be rocket fuel!

Latest posts

Back