Streamlining Brew Day Clean Up Procedure?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Truman42

Reaction score
Hello,

Im looking for some ideas to help make my clean up procedure a little easier after brewing.

Currently I have to disconnect all my lines, take my esky mashtun, kettle, hoses and pump out onto the lawn and hose them all down. Then I pour some PBW and hot water into my kettle and let that soak for awhile with the lid on.
Give that a wipe with a sponge and pour this into the mashtun to soak for awhile.

I was considering a CIP system where I just drain my mashtun, fill it with PBW and recirculate it through my lines, pump, hex coil and mashtun. (I would still have to clean the kettle separately though.) Then run some rinse water through.

But Im still going to have to disconnect all the lines to let them dry out so Im sort of back to square one anyway.

So interested in getting some ideas on what you guys do in your clean up procedure?

Thanks heaps.

Once you get more organised (more brews under your belt ;) ) you should have everything except the kettle cleaned up by the time you finish the boil.
I used a HERMS and had everything hooked up, hoses, tun fittings, what ever and recirced with hot PBW. Now I use a RIMS and it's not much different. The one thing that does need special attention is s/s ball valves, even after a good recirc they still need to be pulled apart every second brew.
I'm not positive but I thought CIP systems usually get an alkaline wash then an acid rinse.

Clean the mash tun while you boiling
The kettle if it is Stainless doesn't need to be scrubed or you remove the coating, cant remember what it called
but it is protective and best left on there
I back flush everything with Sod. med.sulfate
Remember everything from sparge -mash is sterilized in the process of brewing, but needs to be cleaned before use
If you do clean after use How clean and sterile is it 2-3 weeks later is it when you use it next
From the boil- fermenter is the main prioity

Gawd im feeling dirty

All i do is:
Empty the mash tun as the brew is chilling
Drain the kettle to fermenter.
Heat water in HLT while i clean and pump out all the chunky bits from the MT and kettle
pump about 25 liters of 70 deg water through all the lines from vessel to vessel
open lines and drain
push back in the corner of the garage.
Every 6 months it gets a PBW hit to remove any buildup

takes me about an hour from when i finnish draining the kettle to when its back in the corner.

Get the Missus to do it. Thats what she's there for.

Also makes them feel like your happy to share your interests and time with them.

Make sure you keep telling her how lucky she is that you include her in your brew day as most blokes won't let their missus anywhere near their beer.

Let me know how you go.

Also makes them feel like your happy to share your interests and time with them.

Make sure you keep telling her how lucky she is that you include her in your brew day as most blokes won't let their missus anywhere near their beer.

Let me know how you go.

I can let you know how I'd go before I even try.

Gawd im feeling dirty

All i do is:
Empty the mash tun as the brew is chilling
Drain the kettle to fermenter.
Heat water in HLT while i clean and pump out all the chunky bits from the MT and kettle
pump about 25 liters of 70 deg water through all the lines from vessel to vessel
open lines and drain
push back in the corner of the garage.
Every 6 months it gets a PBW hit to remove any buildup

takes me about an hour from when i finnish draining the kettle to when its back in the corner.

But dont you get growth where the moisture sits in the lines etc because they cant drain properly?

Let me know how you go.

Yeh right..That'll go down like a lead balloon. My missus would soon tell me where I can stick my brewery..

Let me know how you go.
:lol:
Let us know who you go with that one Mattress

I'm packed up and done 10 minutes after its in the cube.
All that's left is clean the kettle, and the single line I used to drain.
I clean MLT and recirc, then hang up the lines to dry.

If your lines have disconnects, then just disconnect them. If you have plumbed connections, you clean them accordingly so there is no growth inside and flush them before use anyway I'd guess.

Packing up as you go is the way to go.

:lol:
Let us know who you go with that one Mattress

Sorry guys, I don't have time to answer your question as my darling wife has told me to get off the computer and do the dishes, clean the bathroom, feed the dog and put the bins out.

Apparently if I'm good I'll be allowed to play again tomorrow, so I'll let you know then.

Sorry guys, I don't have time to answer your question as my darling wife has told me to get off the computer and do the dishes, clean the bathroom, feed the dog and put the bins out.

whipped-600x480.jpg

Clean? What, am I the only one who buys new gear for each brew?

Hello,

Im looking for some ideas to help make my clean up procedure a little easier after brewing.

Currently I have to disconnect all my lines, take my esky mashtun, kettle, hoses and pump out onto the lawn and hose them all down. Then I pour some PBW and hot water into my kettle and let that soak for awhile with the lid on.
Give that a wipe with a sponge and pour this into the mashtun to soak for awhile.

I was considering a CIP system where I just drain my mashtun, fill it with PBW and recirculate it through my lines, pump, hex coil and mashtun. (I would still have to clean the kettle separately though.) Then run some rinse water through.

But Im still going to have to disconnect all the lines to let them dry out so Im sort of back to square one anyway.

So interested in getting some ideas on what you guys do in your clean up procedure?

Thanks heaps.
No tips. Just do it.
Everytime you do it an infection dies.

Hello,

Thanks heaps.

Go back to Biab young Skywalker.............its your only hope................ :ph34r:

The kettle if it is Stainless doesn't need to be scrubed or you remove the coating, cant remember what it called
but it is protective and best left on there

think you may be confusing SS for aluminium?

Esky tun : 10 minutes with the hose, maybe a quick hit with the green cloth. Let sit upside down for a bit to half dry out. Store with lid off.

KEGGLE : Run left over water from HLT ( which is still hot ) through once or twice, while wiping with green cloth. Hoppy beers mean 10 minutes instead of 5.

Hoses: Soak in a bucket of leftover HLT water after rinsing in same water.

Fermentor, rinse in hot water, then hit with SOD PERC. Store like this. Same as cubes. When ready to use rinse out, then hit with iodophor.

Surprised there's not more talk of Gerni's and Karchers around here. Always hooked up on brew day. Also good for when you empty fermenter, clean kegs etc.

Back