Strange Taste just developed.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tahoose

Reaction score
Hey all.

So I had an AG brew that I bottled on 11 feb, waited 2 weeks and started drinking it and it was great, no problems. after a few more days it carbed up just a touch more but was still drinking great.

However I grab a bottle on Tuesday night and it tasted a little strange I'm not really sure how to describe it but it was slightly funky and all of the hop flavour had disappeared. I tried another one last night and same same..

I'm wondering if its Oxidisation as I filled the entire batch of bottles then capped the entire batch. But the whole bottling process only took 1 & 1/2 hrs.

I've tasted this flavour before in a toucan brew I did be I just though it was the cheap kit tins..

Any thoughts?

What kind of yeast did you use? Whenever i've used S04, the longer i leave it in the keg, the more tangy it becomes. This yeast can be temperamental as hell so if that's what you've used i would not be suprised.

The current AG batch with s04 tasted very similar to a tooheys new (certainly not intended) however now after 3 weeks it now reminds me of my very early coopers kits.

Temperature was probably above ferment temp (ambient in the laundry) but it hasnt been exactly hot..
I'm not really worried about light levels as it was in brown glass tucked into a dark corner...

The yeast was bry-97

+1 on the temperamental yeast... S04 ive found that even in ideal conditions at 14deg its still had a cry and made one of my IPA into a banana sundae.... Ive learned that when i use it, the actual temp probe on my STC has to be in the wort. Period... and i sit my fermenting fridge on 12 degrees... its slow as hell... but after 3 weeks... damn fine beer... no banana either

Latest posts

Back