Strange Ferment

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sab

Reaction score
How you doing guys.
I put down a wheat beer extract brew on 22/10/05, within 3 days it fermented down to 1014 from og 1042,then it stopped fermenting and started to clear , rang the local hbs and I was told to leave it in primary for a while longer. So a week later while still in primary I noticed it started to throw a small brown coloured krausen and the airlock started to bubble and started to ferment again after it remained dormant for a week. its now in its 2nd week and stopped again at around 1006 and has finished fermenting. Im a bit concerned why it fermented this way,and also the colour of the 2nd krausen did not look to good,could it be an infected brew,I have tasted it and besides tasting bitter it tastes ok and there is no bad smell. Should also add the brew temp was always in the low 20s.

Cheers.

Sab.

What were your temperatures like during the fermentation? I guess it is possible it could have stopped momentarily if you had a cold spell, and then kicked off again if the temp went back up. Could also be a seal issue on your fermenter lid that gave you the impression the fermentation had stopped when in fact it was stillo going.

I wouldn't jump to any conclusions regarding an infection. I have had many a strange thing happen in the past (I think it is just an unavoidable facet of brewing!) but don't remember any of them actually resulting in an infection. Have a taste - at 1.006 it should be tasting pretty much like the final product. If it tastes ok, then you are good to go. If it makes you want to hurl you may have a problem. My bet is that it is fine. :beer:

How you doing T.D just modified my post and added that the temp was never below the low 20s and the gravity was at 1014 for the week untill it kicked off again.

Sab.

Ah, it is a wheat beer. Sounds about right. If your temps at home have gone up a bit I is not unusual. Could even be good (for a wheat).
Wheat beers are an acquired taste. Drink it quick and make a partial mash pale ale and enjoy brewing again.
cheers
Darren

How you doing Darren,Yes the temps did go up a bit is that the reason for the strange ferment.
Cheers.

Sab.

sab said:
How you doing Darren,Yes the temps did go up a bit is that the reason for the strange ferment.
Cheers.

Sab.
[post="88859"][/post]​

SAB, fluctuations in ambient temps can make the airlock bubble. Looks though that the gravity also went down.
1006 is not too low for a 1.040 beer, especially a warm beer

Thanks Darren,I know what you mean but the gravity stayed constant for that week untill it started to ferment again.

Sab.

Have you had a taste of it yet sab? That should make it pretty clear if it is no good. I can't see any reason for it to be infected though.

T.D, I have had a taste and besides tasting bitter it tastes ok.

Cheers.

Sab.

Latest posts

Back