Stovetop Brewing Is Wrecking My Benchtop

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2duck

Reaction score
Hi all,

We recently put in a new kitchen stovetop and timber bench. The stove top is a stainless steel gas one with a large wok burner located on one side. I brewed on it a couple of times, and found that the heat was causing the seams on the timber benchtop right next to the burner to come apart. I use a SS 36 litre pot, which hangs off the side of the stovetop a bit.

I'm not sure if the heat is coming down from above, that is from the flames or reflected heat off that part of the pot base which hangs over the side, or whether the heat is coming directly from the stainless steel stove top - remembering that the designer probably didn't think anyone was going to run the wok burner on full for 2 hours at a time.

Wife not happy and I'm forbidden to brew until problem is fixed. I know I have other options - brewing outside, or going electric, but I am also contemplating getting a new stove top (there are other things I have found I also don't like about it).

My question is: if I get one in a 5 burner configuration with the wok burner in the middle will that solve the problem? I realise that only someone with personal experience will know, but I thought there might be someone out there brewing like that.

Also, would it be sensible to put some silicone in the join between stove top and bench to hinder the transfer of heat?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Just a quick heads up as well StarSan and benchtops don't like each other. Big white spots!

My question is: if I get one in a 5 burner configuration with the wok burner in the middle will that solve the problem?

Also, would it be sensible to put some silicone in the join between stove top and bench to hinder the transfer of heat?

yes that would definetly stop it.

silcone will do bugger all to stop your bench burning.

do you have a range hood that doesnt recirc fumes
- dumps outside/into ceiling otherwise your furniture will start smelling and the missus wont like that either

Have you put your hand between the pot and the benchtop? If its too hot, that pot will be the source of the heat. Try putting a wooden cutting board or something of a similar nature between the pot and the benchtop. This will soak up the heat and expand instead of the bench top. It should also act as a heatsink and your benchtop shouldnt get anywhere near as hot as it would normally.

If its the side of the stove, then another plan will need to be formulated. Possibly some engine sound/heat insulation (a bit of a rubber matting looking stuff) that you can slide between the stove and bench when doing a brew?

As said previously, silicon will do nothing.

EDIT: spelling.

Hi all,

We recently put in a new kitchen stovetop and timber bench. The stove top is a stainless steel gas one with a large wok burner located on one side. I brewed on it a couple of times, and found that the heat was causing the seams on the timber benchtop right next to the burner to come apart. I use a SS 36 litre pot, which hangs off the side of the stovetop a bit.

I'm not sure if the heat is coming down from above, that is from the flames or reflected heat off that part of the pot base which hangs over the side, or whether the heat is coming directly from the stainless steel stove top - remembering that the designer probably didn't think anyone was going to run the wok burner on full for 2 hours at a time.

Wife not happy and I'm forbidden to brew until problem is fixed. I know I have other options - brewing outside, or going electric, but I am also contemplating getting a new stove top (there are other things I have found I also don't like about it).

My question is: if I get one in a 5 burner configuration with the wok burner in the middle will that solve the problem? I realise that only someone with personal experience will know, but I thought there might be someone out there brewing like that.

Any help would be much appreciated.

I assume it is not a freestamding stove. The wok burner in the middle sounds a good idea, I do mine on a four burner with a wok on the front l/h side of the stove but mine is a laminated benchtop. Without not seeing the split, can the top be pulled off, glue forced down the crack and clamped? The top will probably have to be resealed and has it been sealed all round including the cutout around the hob, timber being a natural product will always move, hope this is of some help.
Cheers BB

It'll be fine.

Your old 2 will still need the longer beer line obviously

Ive used a 30L keggle on the a 5 burner hob. even using just the centre wok burner the hole stainless unit heated up ridiculously hot. It reflects the heat back down and I just dont think they're designed for that type of thermal mass for extended boiling times.

I only did it once and then moved outside

Outside brewing is best brewing.

I assume it is not a freestamding stove. The wok burner in the middle sounds a good idea, I do mine on a four burner with a wok on the front l/h side of the stove but mine is a laminated benchtop. Without not seeing the split, can the top be pulled off, glue forced down the crack and clamped? The top will probably have to be resealed and has it been sealed all round including the cutout around the hob, timber being a natural product will always move, hope this is of some help.
Cheers BB

By the sounds of that, I'd be buying an urn and brewing outside hahah

Just a quick heads up as well StarSan and benchtops don't like each other. Big white spots!

Outside brewing is best brewing.

I brewed AG inside once....Burnt the bench top and melted the "heatproof" rubber stoppers under the stove top pot stand.

Brewing outside, for me, means keeping the peace!

I vote for getting a gas ring and moving outside. I did.

Too much heat? Boil-overs? No problems.

Plus you get to look at the stars during idle moments in the boil.

Thanks very much everyone for your thoughts. Looks like moving outside might be what I have to do.

The post was not a joke, and I'm not really sure why anyone might think it was. Before the reno I had a free standing stove with a powerful burner on it so brewing inside was fine. Now it looks like its not. :(

Anyone know how to clean the burnt tiles behind there stove tops? I'm in a rental and the 20l on the stove top is over cause i can see damage to the laminate and the stove. Cooked on wort is hard to remove.

Thanks very much everyone for your thoughts. Looks like moving outside might be what I have to do.

The post was not a joke, and I'm not really sure why anyone might think it was. Before the reno I had a free standing stove with a powerful burner on it so brewing inside was fine. Now it looks like its not. :(

Are you in Vic 2duck, I have a high pressure LPG burner I want to sell, connects straight to LPG cylinder.Will boil 50l no worries.

Anyone know how to clean the burnt tiles behind there stove tops? I'm in a rental and the 20l on the stove top is over cause i can see damage to the laminate and the stove. Cooked on wort is hard to remove.

oven cleaner

if its timber (assuming its hardwood) it will contract and this will happen over time anyway but your speeding it up and usually the timber (if its been seasoned) should move very little. In a dry year it will shrink in a wet year it will grow but it should be stable between the 2. You may get large gaps one year and the next they are tight as and pushing the 2 bits against each other.

You could get a small sheet of fibro cement and put it on the bench top to stop radiant heat. But the stove tops are not made for this kind of work. Do you see a commercial kitchen using a pissy stove top to make 10lts of soup? Sure it can be done but they are built to cook small things over a short period or on a low heat over a long period they dont make them thinking Oh some guy is going to put 20lts of wort on there and boil it for 90mins flat out lol.

Go outside or you will have more to worry about then the bench top. Your constant nagging by SWMBO, the bench thats half burnt and got gaps in it, the bubbling varnish, the stove top thats got burnt wort on and you cant get it off. lol

Not a hard choice?? and you may now get a free pass or a I TOLD YOU SO! from the misses

Back