Stovetop Biab

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thylacine

Reaction score
1) Big W 20L pot w/Woolies sourced cooling rack on bottom to prevent bag burning.
2) Voille bag w/ 14L water for mash-in
3) Boiled kettle about to be wrapped up to warm blankets
4) Pot wrappped up in blankets
5) Mashout finished, colander sitting on a Woolies rack, sparge 8L in second Big W
6) Both pots boil for 30min (14L minus 4L grain absorption; 8L sparge)
7) Pots combined after 30min (17L); rack with centre cut out to suspend voille bag for hop additions
8) Pot in laundry tub 3 X 10min. Third water replacement includes frozen water containers. 22 celcius
9) 15.5L of 1050 OG

Cheers...

IMG_0016.JPG

IMG_0019.JPG

IMG_0020.JPG

IMG_0021.JPG

IMG_0024.JPG

IMG_0026.JPG

IMG_0029.JPG

IMG_0032.JPG

1) Big W 20L pot w/Woolies sourced cooling rack on bottom to prevent bag burning.
2) Voille bag w/ 14L water for mash-in
3) Boiled kettle about to be wrapped up to warm blankets
4) Pot wrappped up in blankets
5) Mashout finished, colander sitting on a Woolies rack, sparge 8L in second Big W
6) Both pots boil for 30min (14L minus 4L grain absorption; 8L sparge)
7) Pots combined after 30min (17L); rack with centre cut out to suspend voille bag for hop additions
8) Pot in laundry tub 3 X 10min. Third water replacement includes frozen water containers. 22 celcius
9) 15.5L of 1050 OG

Cheers...

Nice one mate,
Seems like it all went well.
Cheers

@OP - mate have a look at my thread in my signature.

I went from knocking 22-25L out of 2 pot stovetop method, and the thread is how I now do it - with a ghetto lauter system.

In one of Nick_JD's threads (either 'all grain brewing under thirty bucks' or 20 dollar stovetop lager) - I put a detailed photo post of how I did BIAB on the stovetop with 2 pots - very similar to yours, but I used the wife's pasta pot, with insert to dump the bags and sparge. I would dig it out, but I'm at work!

But I have to say, for the extra $12 in food grade plastic, the method in my signature is considerably less labour intensive.

Cheers

Goomba

Good work! do you have the recipient for us too?

Pilsner malt 2300g
Munich 500
Wheat 300
Carapils 300
Melanoidan 100
S23
.5 tspn yeast nutrient
Hallertau 35@60; Chinook Flower 25@20 & 10@5

Cheers...

I went from knocking 22-25L out of 2 pot stovetop method, and the thread is how I now do it - with a ghetto lauter system.

In one of Nick_JD's threads (either 'all grain brewing under thirty bucks' or 20 dollar stovetop lager) - I put a detailed photo post of how I did BIAB on the stovetop with 2 pots - very similar to yours, but I used the wife's pasta pot, with insert to dump the bags and sparge. I would dig it out, but I'm at work!

But I have to say, for the extra $12 in food grade plastic, the method in my signature is considerably less labour intensive.

Cheers

Goomba

Cheers

Goomba

Thanks for your link advice. Your threads are generally ones I find that are positive and relevant. eg. as per your last sentence in the above above link: "...Hope this helps someone. I'm a big believer in sharing info for the common good and this is my contribution..."

Cheers

Thanks for your link advice. Your threads are generally ones I find that are positive and relevant. eg. as per your last sentence in the above above link: "...Hope this helps someone. I'm a big believer in sharing info for the common good and this is my contribution..."

Cheers

Thank you for saying that.

Hopefully, I'll end up moving to Tassie - great place.

Have a look at this - with photos. I'm home and now had time to look it up.

It's basically all the equipment you are using, but this will make it easier to get a higher amount of beer out of the same amount of effort.

I buy from craftbrewer, and if I buy 5kg of a base grain, it knocks a $1 per kg off - ie. $5 saving, which when you extrapolate that out to the batch size, is a significant saving.

Honestly, though, I'm getting 25L easily out of my current method - for the cost of the buckets and a little effort to make them right, is a heap easier, and whole heap less effort on brew day.

I have squeezed 30L out of this, or 25L at a higher gravity. My current APA I got 86% efficiency and an extra litre more than I'd calculated at a higher gravity.

This helps when making "big" beers - my last AIPA was 1.065 OG - for less effort than BIAB 2 pot. Beer I'm drinking right now is 7%, again - not hard at all to hit 1.060 and higher. I've had to get into the habit of diluting post boil for lower grav beers.

Again, hope this helps you out.

Goomba

Great going mate, just a quick one, looks like half your flowers never made it to the boil you jammed that hop sock so tight!!

Did you work out your in the fermenter efficiency?, looks like you did OK.

Great going mate, just a quick one, looks like half your flowers never made it to the boil you jammed that hop sock so tight!!

Did you work out your in the fermenter efficiency?, looks like you did OK.

Thanks but nah, the 'hop sack' goes deep and I quickly dumped the flowers as a heap, without stirring in, until I had taken a pic. I am not a 'commando' supporter hencea the hop bag.

Ta...

Back