Stout

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerbeard

Reaction score
Fairly new to brewing and I'm doing my second stout I'm going to use a coopers stout can plus 500g dex
500g light malt dry
250g dark malt dry
I'm also adding a vanilla bean to the fermenter
Does it sound like it has potential
Thanks for feedback

I've only kegged with beans but I'll guess you need 2 in the fermenter if you're bottling and want a decent vanilla hit.

How many vanilla beans do you normally add to the kegs? This was one of my next brews and while you mention it I might as well ask the question.
I was thinking at least 2 into a keg with 10L of stout. the other half of the batch will be pitched on some cherries but that is another story.
I made a mead 4 L batch with Half a vanilla bean and I could not detect this at all.

Cheers Stu

stuchambers said:
How many vanilla beans do you normally add to the kegs? This was one of my next brews and while you mention it I might as well ask the question.
I was thinking at least 2 into a keg with 10L of stout. the other half of the batch will be pitched on some cherries but that is another story.
I made a mead 4 L batch with Half a vanilla bean and I could not detect this at all.

Cheers Stu
They tend to 'die off' so when they are in the keg you're getting maximum exposure - when you bottle you're only going to get exposure until bottling time and then it's all downhill from there.

I assumed you were bottling - you can always add another to the keg, they blend quickly. I'd try 1 in a 10L keg about a week before consumption (forget the fermenter) and then add another if you want a deeper hit.

Beerbeard said:
Fairly new to brewing and I'm doing my second stout I'm going to use a coopers stout can plus 500g dex
500g light malt dry
250g dark malt dry
I'm also adding a vanilla bean to the fermenter
Does it sound like it has potential
Thanks for feedback
I have not made the Coopers stout myself but a mate did and it came out quite thin, it was drinkabale but not a chewy as a stout should be.
I think your on the right track with the malts but I would drop the dex by at least half and replace with more Dark Malt.

Yeah' I'm currently doing the Coopers Stout myself as well, hoping to do a guiness clone (1 can coopers stout, 250g dex, 500g darkDME, 500g honey. OG 1.088) but struggling to get temp above 18c, can I expect off flavours?

Back