Stout?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flanbos

Reaction score
hey all

im about to venture into my first stout kit, muntons export stout, i got some cascade hops to though in it too.....being very inexperiended with hops im just wondering

1. do you even need hops in stout???? :huh:
2. if this is ok hops for this brew, if not ill store it???

3. how do i store the rest of the hops i dont use???

cheers

:chug:

I love hops in stout.
get 1.5kg of LME or a cheap home brand can of stout - pour in a stock pot - bigger the better add 5 to 10 litres of water. Can add 200gms of Dark Brown Sugar and 150 Lactose in the pot/boil.
Boil for 20 mins with 30 gms of Cascade.
Pour into fermenter with Morgans can.
Rack to secondary after 10 days - dry hop with 30gms of cascade for 2 weeks.
Filter thru a GMK in-Line Filter into keg or bottleing bucket.

hi flanbos
as for hop storage...store in airtight containers in either the freezer or fridge.the juries out on this one i think.
i store in the freezer.

cheers
big d

flanbos said:
muntons export stout, i got some cascade hops to though in it too
Hi flanbos

I wouldn't use cascade in a stout as the cascade will impart a fruity / grapefruit flavour which I don't think suits a stout.. I think fuggles or goldings would be better. All this is personal preference though.

Cheers
Pedro

Cascade in a stout is just wrong! Goldings, fuggles, challenger, or even Pride of Ringwood would be preferable.

- Snow

GMK said:
I love hops in stout.
get 1.5kg of LME or a cheap home brand can of stout - pour in a stock pot - bigger the better add 5 to 10 litres of water. Can add 200gms of Dark Brown Sugar and 150 Lactose in the pot/boil.
Boil for 20 mins with 30 gms of Cascade.
Pour into fermenter with Morgans can.
Rack to secondary after 10 days - dry hop with 30gms of cascade for 2 weeks.
Filter thru a GMK in-Line Filter into keg or bottleing bucket.
OK, hate to do this but I picked up 2 cans of Coopers stout today for $8 each and will give a 2 can screamer a go with GMK ,s additions , will use Goldongs instead of cascade hops and add 1 kg of muntons dark dry malt to it to give it a good S G. I have a IPA ready to bottle and will use the safale dregs to start it with. Will ferment at around 18-20 deg. Will let you know how it turns out. :chug:

Hi all,
I dont know about in a stout yet. What I do know is that I made this beer here and its turned out a treat after 3 weeks in the bottle.
hahahaha I'm not sure what style of beer it is yet. All I know is that those American hops have gone down loverly in this dark brew.
I would even make it again.
Anyone care to try and say what it is?
I think its more a porter than anything else.
Yum...gotta love this hobby. Make your own beer.
Invent a new style!!! :lol:

mmmmmmmmmmmm...................... :chug:

Snow said:
Cascade in a stout is just wrong! Goldings, fuggles, challenger, or even Pride of Ringwood would be preferable.

- Snow

- Snow

there is nothing wrong with cascade hops in a stout.

Rogue (Portland, Oregon) do an amazing Imerial Stout with a truckload of american hops in it.

action man said:

- Snow

there is nothing wrong with cascade hops in a stout.

Rogue (Portland, Oregon) do an amazing Imerial Stout with a truckload of american hops in it. [/quote]
Yes of course a foreign imperial stout can have anything you want in it, but Flanbos is not making an imperial stout. Cascade in a normal stout (dry Irish, for example) would be completely out of style, and for good reason, IMO. I have made a stout with Cascade as the flavour hop, when I was new to all this and did not know better - it was not a nice taste.

- Snow.

Latest posts

Back