Stout

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timmsy

Reaction score
I am thinking at giving a stout a go to get ready for the winter for next year. As ive only made one from a can and malt i wana give a AG style ago. Im thinking of a stout along the lines of Coopers. Not sure what style of stout that is as im not sure about stouts. So if you guys would like to shread some light on it for me i will be thankfull

im not sure if this is a question or a statement? do you want recipe advise? open up to us..... open your mind

I am thinking at giving a stout a go to get ready for the winter for next year. As ive only made one from a can and malt i wana give a AG style ago. Im thinking of a stout along the lines of Coopers. Not sure what style of stout that is as im not sure about stouts. So if you guys would like to shread some light on it for me i will be thankfull

Good thinking giving it time to age and smooth out for winter.

Warrens 3 shades and 4 shades of stout are popular.

I made a version (green bullet and 1187 instead of cascade and nottingham) of his 4 shades this year (2nd at SABSOSA, 1st at ANAWBS) and am super keen to make his 3 shades next year, maybe even the oatmeal variant.

im not sure if this is a question or a statement? do you want recipe advise? open up to us..... open your mind

What do you offer to open my mind with :rolleyes:

Im curious on some recipes. as ive said im not sure what style of stout is coopers like oatmeal, sweet etc.... So i dont know where to look.

Good thinking giving it time to age and smooth out for winter.

Warrens 3 shades and 4 shades of stout are popular.

I made a version (green bullet and 1187 instead of cascade and nottingham) of his 4 shades this year (2nd at SABSOSA, 1st at ANAWBS) and am super keen to make his 3 shades next year, maybe even the oatmeal variant.

Thanks for that Doc. Im thinking if i get my act together come winter i will have some nice winter warmers. I dont mind the odd stout and porter. Just havnt made any decent ones YET! But that will change

I have a few bottles left over from ANAWBS if you want to drop in and pick a bottle up. Also have a brown porter/dark ale that got 2nd in the dark ale class.

coopers is usually categorised as a "foreign" stout.
there was a leak some time ago of all the grists (grain proportions) of all the coopers beers and i can report that the stout contains 82.7% pale, 7.3% wheat and 10% roasted malt (try just chocolate at this percentage rather than black malt...) plus perhaps 10% sugar or so, POR hops to 40 odd IBUs and an OG of round 1060-1065. culture up some coopers yeast out of the bottle for the extra touch of banana.

I have a few bottles left over from ANAWBS if you want to drop in and pick a bottle up. Also have a brown porter/dark ale that got 2nd in the dark ale class.

Ill take you up on that offer mate. Ill pm you to organise some time. Thanks!

coopers is usually categorised as a "foreign" stout.
there was a leak some time ago of all the grists (grain proportions) of all the coopers beers and i can report that the stout contains 82.7% pale, 7.3% wheat and 10% roasted malt (try just chocolate at this percentage rather than black malt...) plus perhaps 10% sugar or so, POR hops to 40 odd IBUs and an OG of round 1060-1065. culture up some coopers yeast out of the bottle for the extra touch of banana.

Has anyone tried this recipe? Any comments about mash in temps to leave a bit of body and sweetness to the stout?

Cheers

Fil

Guess thats a no. I'll have to give it a whirl then.

Has anyone tried this recipe? Any comments about mash in temps to leave a bit of body and sweetness to the stout?

Cheers

Fil
this is pretty much what i made for the last adelaide swap. I dropped the sugar and added some pale choc and used roast barley not roast malt. turned out pretty good.

Ok cheers.

Im trying:

5kg Ale
0.7kg Chocolate
0.5kg Wheat Malt
0.3kg Flaked Oats (for body)

hopefully it turns out alright.

Ok cheers.

Im trying:

5kg Ale
0.7kg Chocolate
0.5kg Wheat Malt
0.3kg Flaked Oats (for body)

hopefully it turns out alright.

No roast barley? I'd go 0.35 Choc and 0.35 Roast.

Do you actually have any RB or would you have to order that in?
If you can get your hands on some in the next few days I don't see any problem in steeping some in hot water with either enough LDME or sugaz to bring the "miniwort" to the same gravity as the original wort. Strain, boil for maybe 10 mins, cool and pour into fermenter as an ultra-late-grain addition. I seem to remember a thread from waaaay back about someone doing that with crystal.

RB is steepable, doesn't need a mash.

I might be able to get some tommorow if anywhere is open. With the current weights, would 200-300 gm of roasted barley be fine?

edit: Looks like brewcraft have 500gm packs of roasted barley so can pick that up tomorrow morning.

Cheers

Fil

Where are you? I've got some roast barley that I reckon would be fresher than what's at brewcraft. I'm at Marleston.

Cheers for the offer Hatchy, Im at Glynde. I might drop into Brewmaker first as he's not too bad in there plus there's a couple of other things I need as well. If I get stuck tommorow I'll come a knockin' :)

Fil

Hey all,

I am doing my first AG this weekend (BIAB), and I am going to have a bash at the 3 Shades of Stout.

I have made a few changes, apart from reducing the batch to 20L, I substituted the Target for Willamette (My LHB does not have much of a range and I forgot to order my hops when I ordered grain from G&G).

I am also going to use one of the seasonal Wyeast 1581 Belgian Stout.

This is my total grain bill, hops and yeast, can someone please liik it over and let me know if I have forgotten anything or am making any mistakes?

Simpsons Golden Promise 2000g

Bestmalz Pilsner 850g

Simpsons Brown 420g

Flaked Barley 300g

JW Roast Barley JW Roast Barley 215g

TF Pale Chocolate Malt 215g

Willamette 4.8% 50g 60min

Fuggles 5% 15g 15min

1581 Belgian Stout seasonal yeast

I have read the BIAB stuff by PistolPatch and the BIAB urn stuff by Bribie G and I think I am ready.
Does anyone have any extra advice for a first timer?

Thanks heaps, I am looking forward to Saturday.

Get up early and do the brew. Try not to drink whilst you are brewing due to handling hot water. Maybe thats just me but beer tastes even better when you are also in the process of making it.

Have you got a pulley type system to help with hanging the bag?

Back