Stout - Priming Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wardy

Reaction score
Sorry to start another thread on this topic, but couldn't find any info in the search.

My stout is about 6 weeks overdue for bottling because i have been trying to find priming ratios.

O.G. was 1.070, and F.G. is 1.020. Can't seem to get it any lower and it has been in secondary for over a month.

Now i generally like a well carbonated beer, but i understand that is not really the style of a stout. A stout that i like with good carbonation would be the Coopers stout.

I prime with dextrose, so can anyone suggest g/L?

Try priming with 5gms per litre = 115gms for 23ltr Batch.

Now I do say this with tongue firmly in cheek ..........................

Ken ..... you could buy a family block of dark chocalate and prime at the rate of 1 square per stubby or 2 squares per long kneck :D :D :D :D :D

Steve.

Oh I forgot .... there is always dark rum and raisin. :D

At that FG I would say prime-schmime and bottle without priming.

Jovial Monk

chiller said:
Now I do say this with tongue firmly in cheek ..........................

Ken ..... you could buy a family block of dark chocalate and prime at the rate of 1 square per stubby or 2 squares per long kneck :D :D :D :D :D

Steve.

Oh I forgot .... there is always dark rum and raisin. :D
Nice one chiller - never thought of that...

Do you want one lump or two... :D

So- with that FG and it being a stout - is there anything wrong with priming at 5 gms per litre?

My uneducated opinion is that it won't hurt to prime it, even with the lower gravity. As a stout I don't think the higher FG is going to contribute much in-bottle. Perhaps you could hedge your bets and prime at 3g/L.

at 1.020 I personally wouldnt prime as high as 5 g/l, unless you plan to drink the lot in a month. For drinking at 6 months age and older I would be more in the 3 to 4 g/l range. And for a nice low carbonation stout I would try a few with nor priming to see how they go.

thanks everyone. i plan on ageing this one for at least 5 months until christmas, so i might go with the 3 or 4 g/L and see how she goes.

Latest posts

Back