Stout - OG 1.055 has stopped at 1.020

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, if kegging it wont matter from a safety point of view. I dont bottle but if I did I'd in this instance I might think twice. Notch it up to experience. With regards to racking prior to FG; everyone's got their own technique/process that they're happy with. I wouldn't do it that way but thats just me, YMMV.

bah

Ahh er ok - I have swirled it (last night) today it has dropped to 1.016 (2 points) ......

It went in last Friday - so 7 days has only moved 2 point - 1.018 to 1.016 in last 3 days

I'd swirl it one or two more times over the next 4-5 days. It might quite possibly drop another 2 points which would give 75% attenuation which would be about spot on. Again don't rush it, if it drops another couple points in the next couple of days then give it a couple of days for the yeast to clean up after itself and it should be a good ferment.

bah

Thanks BaH,

1.015 today - being the impatient ******* I am i planned to bottle today but I will leave in to next weekend and swirl it in the mean time.
Will the body and mouthfeel improve with time? The sample had a good flavour balance but tasted kinda thin? Does that make sense?

Yea, I reckon you'll find mouthfeel will be fine after its carbed and given a couple of days to settle after being kegged. If it finishes at 1015 it should have a good amount of body left in the beer, depending on original ingredients/mash temp etc. Buy I'd say it'll be fine. I often notice the same thing from hydro samples but find once carbed and ready for drinking there is no issue.

Good luck with it, hope you enjoy it

bah

Back