Stout Extract Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shoobs

Reaction score
Seeing as I managed to massively overoak a German Pilsner that I'm currently lagering, I figured I'd make the best of it and brew a stout. That way, I can pour a black and tan, and hopefully the oakiness of the pilsner will compliment the burnt chocolatey flavours of the stout.

I've based it loosely on a few recipes, and this is what I've come up with:
http://hopville.com/recipe/1298867/foreign...ification-stout

Any input? I'm using EK Goldings because I have some left over. The same goes for the Munich Light Malt. Should I be bumping up any of the fermentables to increase the ABV?

If by light Munich you are mean Wey Munich I then that needs to be mashed, unless you are considering steeping at say 65 for an hour. Otherwise I'd ditch it and use something steepable such as Caramalt to give that bit of malt complexity. 6% sounds good. I'm currently conditioning a FES myself with half a kilo of ALDI brown sugar in it, seems to give that nice tropical rummy overtone to it.

If by light Munich you are mean Wey Munich I then that needs to be mashed, unless you are considering steeping at say 65 for an hour. Otherwise I'd ditch it and use something steepable such as Caramalt to give that bit of malt complexity. 6% sounds good. I'm currently conditioning a FES myself with half a kilo of ALDI brown sugar in it, seems to give that nice tropical rummy overtone to it.

Yep, that is the plan. All of the grains will go into a mesh bag, and'll be steeped in 65 degree water for an hour. I'm hoping it adds some maltiness, but the real reason for using it is because I have a small amount that has been sitting there for ages.

is it an extract or a partial? if your mashing for an hour surely you could find enough grain for a partial brew?

but if your after a really easy extract stout this is something i have on tap at the moment because i didn't have enough time for a brew day nd i needed to fill the keg. ended up pretty tasty, it's a recipie lots of people on here use and just change it around as needed (ie swap amarillo for ekg, malt extract for your steeped grains and whatever yeast you have on hand)

coopers stout can
dark ale can
500g malt extract
roughly 20g of amarillo hops thrown in @ 10min
onto a cake of us-05 from a previous brew

Latest posts

Back