Stout didn't fire

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Logman

The most interesting man on AHB
Reaction score
I put a Stout in nearly 48 hours ago and nothings doing so far. It was a re-hydrated pack of Notto. I've got a bulk pack of Notto and use it all the time so the yeast is fine. Yesterday I scooped a bit of 1469 off the top of a Landlord that's fermenting ATM but that did nothing either.

What to do - was thinking of boiling it again for 1/2 hour, is that a good idea?

I gave it a shake 6 hours ago and looks like there is some action - hopefully not a lemon stout...

petesbrew said:
Just wait.
:D

Only reason I panicked was that I normally start a brew in the afternoon and it's got a krausen in the morning with Notto.

I thought of the possible cause, the shelf is wooden ply and I noted in another post someone said the lower section is warmer when using a wooden shelf. Normally I have the temp probe on the top fermenter but there was already a brew on the bottom shelf when I added this batch, but I didn't switch the probe, just wondering if the temp is 2 or 3 degrees lower below and that was the cause - would have made it 15 or so on top. Will have to thermometer test...

Notto goes well down to 12 to 14 degrees but obviously not as rampant as at 18 or above. Maybe it's just a bit colder than normal. Your use of the two cultures should be ok, the 1469 should give some esters and the Notto will finish the job.

You don't say what temp your probe on the bottom fermenter is currently set to or how long your bottom fermenter has been fermenting?
If this was my 2 x fermenter fridge I would move the temp probe from bottom to top as soon as bottom looked anywhere near like reaching krausen. Notto temps are very flexible as Bribie says so I can see no reason why you couldn't shift the probe to the top fermenter ASAP.
I've just tossed the wooden shelf in my other (Old bar :lol: ) fermentation fridge. Replaced it with plain-side-up aluminium checker plate for the convenience of attracting mould & damp later rather than sooner. Interesting to hear your comments on wooden shelves Logman. :beer:

You don't say what temp your probe on the bottom fermenter is currently set to or how long your bottom fermenter has been fermenting?
That was on 18 for a few days before this went in. But I forgot to move it :huh:

I can't remember the thread where they were talking about the wooden shelves but it make sense I guess - it takes up most of the room and is solid ply so it would block the air flow - the cooling panel is totally above the shelf and the shelf slides into a molded support so there is zero airflow on the sides. I think that guy replaced it with security screen - I guess a PC fan is an option...

The main reason for my panic was that it's my best brew!! Toasted the oatmeal and the nibs - it's got a Lindt 85% in it too - total despair if it doesn't make it.

:icon_cheers:

With regards to your wooden shelf Loggy --- I would attack it with a router or failing that, drill parallel holes then hacksaw out slots.
Good luck with the Stoutie.

PS --- Estapol it by 3 (The wooden shelf not the stout) :)

Back