Storing unused LME

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Proffs

Reaction score
Hi, I've got a recipe that calls for 1/2kg wheat malt but I've only got a can of coopers wheat LME. Once opened could I store the remaining half of the can for a period of time or should I just go buy some dry wheat malt? I'm figuring when canned there's some kind of pasteurization or something happening....

BTW, recipe is

Coopers Pale Ale can
Coopers LME can
500g wheat malt extract
300g dextrose
250g crystal

Hop schedule: 25g galaxy @ 15, 15g each of galaxy, citra & Amarillo @ 5 & dry hop 20g of all 3 again after a week.

23 liters, us-05 pitched at 18. Predicted OG: 1.058, FG: 1.013. IBU: 39.7 ABV%6.2

Any suggestions? Sound alright?

store it, guilt and worry free. if u are paranoid, you can put a layer of vodka on the surface..

NewtownClown said:
store it, guilt and worry free. if u are paranoid, you can put a layer of vodka on the surface..
Ha, I've read enough of your comments already to be unsure whether your takin the piss or not. :) but stuff it, what's the worse that could happen.

So that means to substitute 500g of dry I would use 600g LME?

Thanks mate

I don't take the piss... often, except for with friends, so not sure what you mean.

haven't used extract for a long while, but that looks right, 1.2 : 1 LME to DME

Check to see if your local Home Brew Shop sells/stocks Briess malts as they come in a 1.5kg screw top plastic container which would be suitable for partial use

Cheers

Wobbly

I'd keep the can in the fridge, unopened and scurry down to your LHBS pick up a 500g bag of DMWE and scurry home again and make your beer and use your can when your next recipe requires that quantity.

Cover with gladwrap and a rubber band round it in the fridge. Should be OK for a few weeks.

That said I would add water and boil it before I would use it in the next brew.

Cheers

LME will keep for ages in the fridge. I have bulk 15kg growlers of Briess LME that I've had in the fridge for a couple of months and they're perfectly fine. Just have to remember to take 'em out of the fridge the day before making an extract brew, otherwise they take FOREVER to pour when cold.

Back