Storing Slants

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julez

Reaction score
Hi all,

I prepared my first batch of slants last week, all has gone well - it's actually pretty easy! However, I do have one thing to clarify...

The info I have read suggests you keep the slants at room temp for about one week after innoculating with yeast, then refridgerate/freeze. I have a Wyeast weizen culture that is still active on the slant surface, requiring daily bleeding of CO2. I assume I need to wait until this activity has ceased before putting my slants to bed, or will the temperature drop to fridge/freezer temps halt this activity anyway?

In other words, is one week at room temp enough, then freeze, or should I wait until all activity has ceased before this stage?

Cheers, Julez :icon_cheers:

No, just wait until you have enough yeast mass on the surface and then refrigerate. Don't freeze them though. That will kill your yeast dead. Store in a plastic lunch box or similar.

i wouldn't freeze your blank slants either, it'll make them go mushy.

OK thanks guys, sounds good, the fridge it is (the two main sources I have been following did say refridgerate, and that is what I was going to do, but sure I read somewhere people freeze them too....).

So the time to refridgerate is just when there is sufficient growth? Makes sense.

Cheers.

Back