Storing Oxygen In A Corny Keg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

husky

hop addict
Reaction score
To save bringing an oxy O2 bottle home from work to trial some wort oxygenation, I was contemplating taking an empty corny to work, filling with maybe 20psi of O2 and then using that to run through an air stone into the fermenter. From my research pure O2 should be ok with all the materials in a corny, stainless steel and the seal materials.

Has anyone actually done it before? Is there anything I might be missing or am I over thinking it?

That should work great. You could even steal 100psi from work and save a few fillups.

not necessarily good

Oxygen might (i say might because I'm speculating on the caustious side, i dont actually "know") react with the rubber in your orings and seals, and also might react with any lubricant you have to make said seals etc work better. By react, I mean spontaneously combust!

Be careful, confirm that its safe with someone you have a reason to believe actually knows what they are talking about.

TB

Thirsty is right...
It COULD be dangerous..Corny is too thin...for air pressure?????
O2 reacts with oils..It tells you on gauges..
PJ

How are you planning to dispense it? Just whack on a gas disconnect attached to line & beer stone? Whoomph, out comes all the gas in one hit?
Is it food grade O2? If not, would you want to be bubbling it through your wort?

Sounds like a terrible idea imho, but I have no practical knowledge of using O2. Just awareness that it makes big bangs.

TB - I have checked compatibility with PVC, Silicon and EPDM seals, all are ok. Any other possible seal materials I have missed?

PJ - There should be no oils present will clean all lube off disconnects. Corny is good for 900KPa, Im not looking at anything near that

HSB - Plan to dispence through disconnect - flow regulator - 2micron air stone. Its welding grade which I believe to be just as sterile as the medical grade gas. I have a .2 micron filter I can put in line as well however I dont believe it's required.

Doesn't sound like its been done before, might end up just bringing the bottle home.

Does the keg have a pressure release valve? They usually release at around 60-80 psi don't they?

Sure does, stamped with 900Kpa or 130PSI. The pressure is not my issue, its the reactivity of the pure O2.

Back