Storing Iodophor In Kegs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vlbaby

Beer Budda
Reaction score
In the interest of being a tight arse, i was wondering if a solution of iodophor was stored in a sealed keg, how long would it last before becoming ineffective at sterilising? I was thinking of storing my kegs when unused by completely filling them with iodophor, then when the next keg becomes available, i will transfer its contents into it and so on. this means i have pre-sterilised kegs always on hand and i dont waste heaps of iodphor doing it.
Do you think this will work, or am i risking a possible infection? <_<

cheers

VL

vl.
I believe iodophore will corrode your kegs if left for a long time. Especially at the sanitiser/air interface. The iodophore will definately kill your o-rings fairly quickly

cheers
Darren

When your keg is empty disconnect and leave in that state until you are ready to refill, that means your keg is full of co2. Wash and san just prior to filling, it's simple and saves double handling therefore more DRINKING TIME.
Cheers 15BL :beer:

15beerslater, what does leaving your keg full of CO2 do?

Back to the question, I am unsure what long term effect storing dilute iodophore in stainless would have. The dairy version does contain phosphoric acid, but I do not know if this is an issue.

A better idea would be to mix a litre or two up fresh when ready to sanitise the keg, place it in the keg, pressurise it, hit the beer out poppet so some pushes out through the dip tube, shake the keg and invert it so that every surface is covered with solution, open the lid, pour the solution back in a jug, pop the lid in to sanitise, invert the keg, allow to drain and refill.

The stuff is so cheap and kegs are relatively much more expensive to keep one as a storage vessel for a dollar's worth of sanitiser.

VL
From memory, this was a question on the AHA techtalk that I get via email most days, and I recall that some of the better known brewers were saying star-san (if that is the same stuff) keeps its really low pH, and hence sterilising abilities for a very long time if it is mixed up and stored. I thikn that someone said something about it being good for years, but I dont recall clearly enough to say for sure. They did discuss how safe it was to keep it in stainless, I dont own kegs so didnt read it too intently, but I think they said it was OK. But until you get someone that can say definitely (sorry I cant be of more help), then maybe do what POL said. I keep my no rinse sanitiser in a spray bottle.
All the best
Trent

ever thought of sterilizing the keg turning upside down with the lid off so it drip drys out then putting the lid on and storing.this is what i do then when im ready to use again a quick splash of whatever sterilizer you want to use or stir around with boiling water drain then fill with beer.
works for me.

cheers
big d

Back