Storing in kegs - off the gas

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muz

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm new to kegging and I have a couple of questions:

1) I have a couple of kegs but only a limited gas setup. Can I keg a beer, purge it with CO2, store it at room temp and then cool/carb a month or two later?

2) If I have a keg that's already cold and carbed will it stay carbed if I disconnect if from the gas? I've got a road trip coming up and I'd like to take a mini keg with me but keeping it cold and on the gas for eight hours could be difficult.

Thanks for your help.

Brian.

1) Yes you can but best stored cooler. How about priming and naturally carbing the keg if you have limited gas?

2) Yes it will stay carbed

I have a similar/related question to the OP. I have a small bar fridge/kegerator and it’s only got one keg in it at the moment (which is full of beer). If I’m away for a week was thinking to save some electricity I could switch off the fridge and then just switch it back on when I get home.
Any issues with this in terms of the carbonation of the beer?

I have a similar/related question to the OP. I have a small bar fridge/kegerator and it’s only got one keg in it at the moment (which is full of beer). If I’m away for a week was thinking to save some electricity I could switch off the fridge and then just switch it back on when I get home.
Any issues with this in terms of the carbonation of the beer?

It'll stay carbed and probably reasonably cool if the doors never opened.
Of course the answer I should give is it will store better at the correct cooler temperature but I've got 2 kegs sitting in the office as I'm short of fridge space and I know they'll taste just fine :)

I would leave it on if it’s just for a week but carbonation will be fine if you do and after you cool it down again. I often go away for a couple months and turn everything off but beer keeps better kept cool.

store it at room temp

Your beer will change by storing it at room temp.

For anything hoppy it’ll have more effect than something dark/malty.

Regardless of the type there will still be accelerated oxidisation as a result of room temperature.

Beer – treat it like fresh milk.

Last edited:
Back