Storing Hops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stebas

Reaction score
Heya,

I got some hop pellets wrapped up in the fridge that I'm going to use in the near future.
Just a quick question, how long is it safe to leave them, i.e. will they go bad if left for a long time.

I'm probably going to use them in a month or so, is this cool?

Hey Stebas

I'm pretty sure you should store them in an air tight bag/container and in the freezer. A month sounds fine, hopefully someone will confirm this :huh:

Jye :beer:

stebas, regarding hop storage.if/when you get them the hops must be stored as cold as possible and in air tight packaging to avoid oxidisation (air getting in). so try resealing the original pack then wrap in food grade plastic, ie glad wrap then put the lot into one of those resealable sandwhich bags and suck the air out.a bit rough and basic but it works for me...cheers spog.

Hops won't go "off" with long storage, but they'll lose potency. I have it on decent authority that freezing is best for pellets and the fridge is best for plugs/flowers. That said, I keep all of mine in the freezer, flowers and all. I have used hops up to about 6 months old... well 6 months after I got them. Often hops wholesellers will tell you which season's harvest the hops are from, often the retailer doesn't know. Anyway, with good storage, you have little to worry about. Allow about 1-2% AA reduction per year regardless.

Anyway, one month will be fine. Just keep cool and dry.

Hey Stebas,
Some hop varieties have better storability than others. I'm sure someone has the data sheet but what I noticed was than both cascade and pride of ringworms donot store well.

stebas, been racking my brain trying to remember an aussie site re hops,i could be wrong and can,t remember the actual site address but try a search for the Canberra brewers club. cheers spog...

Back