Storing Grain

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dane

Reaction score
I'm just having a little clean up of the garage and what to know what is the best way to store grain. I have some Munich Grain (cracked) that I used in a brew last week (and will be using the rest of it shortly). At the moment I have it in an airtight container just on the bench. I keep hops in the freezer and yeast in the fridge - should I cool/freeze grains or is room temp fine? Does it differ if they are cracked or whole?

Something airtight to keep the insects out. Read a story about a fellow walking into his grain storage room and seeing it alive with moths :)

You can store grain in the fridge/freezer - I havent' done this but have read recommendations from people who swear by it. I imagine you just need to be sure that no moisture gets in. I've also read about people advocating purging with Co2 whenever you remove any grain from a container (kill any bugs and prevent oxidation).

In general whole grain keeps much better than crushed. eg. a chap in Newcastle has hundreds of kg. of malted grain stored as is in sacks for at least a year with no ill effects. When he opens a new sack he just transfers the contents to a 25 litre container.

Interesting message here on grain going stale and why this happens and why it's more a problem with crushed grain.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CraftBrewing...ng/message/9385

However crushed grain should be ok for some weeks at least if stored in a dry, cool airtight container.
cheers
reg

OK similar topic but to do with uncracked grain.

what is the best way to store this? Does it need to be in an air tight container or is a cheap-o storage box from bunnings ok?

Same result here too Ross.

The mantra for grain storage though is pretty simple - cool and dry. That does not necessarily mean a hermetic seal - just enough to stop humid air coming in contact with the grain.

Wes

Thanks Guys, this is what I thought. I already bought the 60 litre box from bunnings however it is not air tight. should be right.

cheers

Latest posts

Back